Best way to rig up a MOSFET in an M14?

Chris North

After doing a bit of research, I became convinced that I want to buy one of those computerized mosfet things. I have a basic understanding of what they do, and I'm pretty confident that I can install it without much trouble. I pretty much get how and where everything should go, but after looking at my SOC16, the thought occurred to me that, depending on how I run the battery-to-board or board-to-gun wires, it might be a real PITA to do a basic field strip of the gun. Since I'm sure many people here have run a MOSFET through an M14, I thought it would just be best to ask people with a experience. :)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to wire everything using Deans connectors, but I'm not sure how many I should get since I don't know what wires should be able to be disconnected. I was thinking it would be more economical to just be able to disconnect the wires to the battery (a setup similar to how the gun comes stock), but I'm not sure if the 'FET would fit in the handgrip part of the stock. Alternatively, I was thinking of being able to separate the chips from the wires that lead to the motor and the trigger, but that would use more connectors, and I'm not sure if it would fit any better than my first choice. The only other way I could think to do it is to make the wiring all one piece (with no connectors and not easily removable), but I'm not sure how hard it would be to have to run the MOSFET as connecting wires back through the stock upon reassembly of the rifle.

I guess I also might as well ask if http://extreme-fire.com/ is a reputable place to order from? I couldn't find anything of value on them using the search tool.

Thanks in advance!

I have no knowledge of the M14's but I can answer one of your questions... extreme-fire.com is a reputable place to order from but its just way to expensive... I would order from "Infected" (person on this forum) to buy from. I just bought one, I haven't received it, but many people had no problems with his so save 5 bucks and shipping money? I onno... extreme-fire.com is good though.

One place I thought of immediately is the area where the fuse box normally is. You could integrate an FET unit and fuse all together in that space (like Systema), but as you said this would affect the takedown because you couldn't disconnect the battery wiring right behind the motor.

-Sale

I have an SW computer on my CA SA58 and one of hhairsoft's MOSFETs in my Marui M14.

If I were to add an SW computer to the M14 in place of the hhairsoft MOSFET, I'd likely incorporate it into the part of the wiring harness that resides in the stock. There is an area inside the Marui stock that is a choke point - it's visible if you look from where the receiver usually rests into the stock - that's shaped like a rectangle. Take a long, flat screwdriver or other similar instrument and knock the two sides of the choke point out. You now have room to feed the SW computer through. I had to do this to make it possible to feed a Dean's connector through this hole. Straightforward process and makes things much easier. I replaced the entire Marui wiring harness in favor of lower resistance wiring with soldered connections throughout when I went to the MOSFET. You'll likely want to do the same thing when you install the SW computer. One more tip, take a wrap or two of electrical tape and secure the wiring to the top of the motor. This will help keep things lined up as you field strip/reassemble the rifle and reduce tension on the soldered joints.

I LOVE the SW computer, btw. Highly recommended. It figures out where the forward position of the piston's stroke is in semi-auto and stops the piston there with each shot. There's no tension at all on the anti-reversal latch in the SA58. Well worth the money.

I see what you mean, just knocked them out, but I think I want to file what's left of them down a bit. I tried earlier today to feed the fusebox through the hole, and TBH I don't think it was that difficult enough to warrant soldering in a bunch of new connectors, especially considering the amount of times I should need to separate the stock from receiver and barrel.

I was planning on just removing all of the stock wiring and replacing it with the wires that come attached to the SW comp.

Thanks for the advice guys! Placing an order now.

Here is how I put the SWComputer in my CA M14, works perfect and I had it 2 days after I paid for it. Just replace the fuse with it.

Kit:

m14-003.jpg

Stock Setup:

m14-004.jpg

After some soldering, on the CA you dont even need to split the gearbox, if you are carefull you can solder the trigger leads from the outside:

m14-007.jpg

All finished up, it drops right in like it always did, no problems:

m14-011.jpg

Archived