Evil ISPs

Megalomaniac

My ISP has unjustly capped my upload rate, I have a Cable connection and my upload rate is all of 5KBs. Fathammer can vouche for me that I don't exactaly rape my bandwidth running servers or what not. But for some reason they decided to *fruitcage* me over. Has this happened to anyone else, and short of switching ISPs is there anything I can do about.

Megalomaniac,

If the service is advertised as something you're not getting, you can employ the PSC. Since you are in NY, ISPs fall under the government of the Public Services Commission for some strange reason, and even if they technically don't need to handle your case, they always do.

I lived in NYC between 1998 and 2002 and filed various PSC complaints against Time Warner cable, Optimum Online and, I believe, Lightning (which is now bought out by Hurricane Electric).

The PSC will assign an agent to your case who will pester the ISP for you, and there's nothing that will make the ISP put a high-level manager on as quick as saying "please hold while I 3-way my PSC agent/representative" to the support personnel.

M.

I'm in nyc and have time warner cable. It suck big donkey balls. It constantly disconnects itself and comes on all the time and is quite slow most of the time. To top it all of, its like 50 bucks a month. If i wasnt so lazy, i'd cancel it and get Verizon for 30 bucks. I'll get to it probably during my spring break, if i dont get too side tracked by a spring break trip.

Archived