Help: Need a DIY Combat Shirt guide

Pain_is_Red

Howdy, wow haven't been on here in a looong time. Anyways 'nough nostalgia.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in regards to modifying issue BDU/DCUs into DIY combat shirts using Under Armor. I have seen plenty of photos scattered in various forums, in fact Krukspec Tactical used to have a large line-up of combat shirts, but unfortunately no longer offer them.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Remove sleeves of either. Turn BDU sleeves and Under Armour torso inside out. Sow up.

You will probably have to enlarge the arm holes on the Under Armour torso to get the sleeves to fit. This is where pins come in. Before you sow, you pin them together, see if it fits, modify if necessary, try it on. Make adjustments where necessary and don't start stitching until you've confident it's right.

Remove sleeves of either. Turn BDU sleeves and Under Armour torso inside out. Sow up.

You will probably have to enlarge the arm holes on the Under Armour torso to get the sleeves to fit. This is where pins come in. Before you sow, you pin them together, see if it fits, modify if necessary, try it on. Make adjustments where necessary and don't start stitching until you've confident it's right.

Thanks Nilz. While I realize it's pretty self-explanatory, I'm really looking for tutorial with pictures, and before and after shots. If anyone knows of any such tutorial a link would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to find a tutorial to make a DIY combat shirt in Crye's style.

The only problem with modding the sleeves in such a way, you will have no under armor covering the the armpit, only the BDU. Crye's Combat Shirt has the UA covering the armpit. having the heatgear material in that area is a key reduction/breathebility.

I don't think there's much more to it than removing whatever material you want removed from the armpits and replacing it with material cut from the UnderArmour sleeves...

Sometimes the best course of action is to just go ahead. You know what you want done. Look at both items before starting out, plan the whole process, write it down step by step if you must. Measure. Factor in extra material where the seams are going to be. Work with patience. Pin everything down before sewing to spot obvious mistakes. Key element to undertaking projects like this is that you enjoy doing it. Enjoy figuring stuff out as you go.

If you're not feeling adventurous, it's best left to a tailor I suppose. Print out some pics of what you want it to end up looking like and they can fix it for you.

• 2 weeks later...
misread my bad

No problem.

I am gonna have some extra $$ this week so I am gonna take the sound advice and bring some pictures of what I want to a tailor/seamstress and see how much they will need. Depending on the result I may have pictures to post, no promises though

Archived