British WW2 Bush/Chindit Hat

Leadmill

Well with my project nearing completion i've been trying to find a source a WW2 Chindit/Felt Bush hat. So far i've found whatpriceglory but they have sold out, I then looked at my back up site (SOF) and they wanted £57.50 posted! Is there anywhere cheaper out there that has them boys and girls or am I going to have to bite the bullet and drop trou?

Well with my project nearing completion i've been trying to find a source a WW2 Chindit/Felt Bush hat. So far i've found whatpriceglory but they have sold out, I then looked at my back up site (SOF) and they wanted £57.50 posted! Is there anywhere cheaper out there that has them boys and girls or am I going to have to bite the bullet and drop trou?

I think whatpriceglory also sell them.

:D

Lawrence Ordnance in Oz:

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/lawrance-o...-world-war.html

Better than SOF. These are the real deal :)

Yes... but very expensive and they are the aussie pattern.

The WPG/SOF ones are closer to the Wartime British pattern. Though still not perfect... but a LOT cheaper.

BTW, the SOF ones are ones from WPG... WPG is the original source.

I see WPG have.. "NEW IMPROVED RUN FROM AKUBRA COMING SOON" written on their catalogue... I await those with great interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Spot on. The only difference in the Oz and UK pattern is the Oz brim is bound with cotton tape and the catch that holds the brim up at the side is different. I unpicked the stitching on the brim tape and removed it, then used a steamy iron to lose the stitch holes. I then replaced the brim catch with a correct press stud. Easy stuff to do :)

The hat in that pic is an aussie one anyway. You can see the tape round the brim and the insignia on the side flap.

And here I was thinking that you were going to do a Chindit impression... bah... its just some silly cartoon thing... ;) j/k

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived