Better wiring

Rattler

I am currently experimenting with wiring and have converted one of my weapons (highly upgraded DE UMP) over to solid 18g wiring and so far noticed an increase in ROF (but I also installed a systema turbo and deans connectors so I know those are good contributors), I (being totally stupid with wiring) do not know if it is over draining or sending resistance or anything that would be worse than the stranded wiring but I am replacing the wiring on clone guns so it shouldn't take much to get an increase.

Also, would this slow down the drain of my batteries?

Just looking for opinions and if solid core isn't that great, what would you recommend for a good wiring?

Thanks much!

Dan

I used to use Solid Copper wire aswell for a while, But I have found that Silver plated 16guage wire is the very best if you can get your hands on it.

Mil spec Teflon 16guage Silver plated wire is what I hope to get my hands on when I get the oppertunity, Its extra low restance and can stand abuse..

Anything better than solid copper wire would be a better increase, I do minor upgrades with 16guage Tin coated wire I picked up from a local hardwear store.. I have acctually had mixed results, And I am trying to see if the increase is more than 18guage copper speaker wire..

.... (but I also installed a systema turbo and deans connectors so I know those are good contributors),

Also, would this slow down the drain of my batteries?

The above question is the main one i'm looking for an answer for. I do solder the wires to the motor, I do use deans (love them to death), I am getting mofsets and I am also switching completely over to li-poly.

Just looking for the lowest resistance wiring basically so they all work together and not that one is canceling out the rest. .

Thanks!

Dan

The lower resistance of wiring with better conductivity would theoretically decrease your battery drain because less energy is being lost as heat to resistance. However, I do not think such changes would be all that noticeable if even existent at all between fine strand 18 or 16ga wiring, and anything larger than that, provided you already have soldered connections and Deans connecters. Don't forget that the tabs and brushes on the motor are only so big, no point in using wiring that exceeds the amount of material in those tabs. I think solid 18ga wire could be very useful because it's probably about the same quantity of metal as fine strand 16 ga wire, but it can be carefully bent to follow tight contours inside the gun. The downside to solid wiring is that if it gets bent back and forth, it can fatigue and snap inside the insulation.

Archived