BB to Airsoft Conversion

Chief Smackaho

You'd need a new barrel, seriously slow the spring (trim and weight?) and check whether it would even be legal where you live. The result would be a single shot airsoft gun with no more accuracy than any other airsoft gun and possible rather less(depening on what hop, if any, you installed). It would in short be rather more effort than it's likely worth. Possibly also illeagal, at least to skirmish.

what power level is the donar gun.

It is farly simple (though more difficult in practace) to replace the barrel with a 6mm barrel and steal a 6mm feeding mech from a second donar(airsoft) gun.

The resulting device could be rather to dangerous for airsoft use, and would remain an unfriendly air rifle, rather than an airsoft rifle.

If you can regulate power to an airsoft acceptible levle then sure simple but mildly difficult project.

Years ago I once tried to convert a Daisy bb gun that shot steel bbs at 300fps to shoot airsoft bbs. I drilled out the breech to just over 1/4" or about 6.5mm, made a sleeve around the bolt to seal it in the now larger chamber, and stuffed a tube of about 6mm inner diameter into the whole plastic breech/barrel trunion/valve assembly, and fed each shot manually through the feedport where it was meant to take pellets one at a time. It worked ok, I suppose if I had had a proper airsoft barrel of the right length with a hopup unit it would have worked far better, but this was many years ago when all I had was a pair of cheap springers. Then I bought a SunProject M40A1, which made the airsoft converted bbgun entirely pointless. I eventually replaced all the worn out and modified parts on that bb gun and it still works as a little pellet gun. I see no reason to try making an airsoft sniper rifle out of a bb gun when you can buy a VSR clone, but I guess if you wanted a safer plinking bb gun that didn't cost as much as a decently powerful airsoft, and you already had the necessary parts, it could be worth the time and effort I suppose.

A Red Ryder would probably make a 400-450fps airsoft, I think they shoot steel bbs at just under or at 300fps. It would be kinda fun to have the lever action and not need to fill it with gas or anything, if you could make the original reservoir feed work with airsoft bbs it would be like an internal hicap. I think it would be a lot of work and require some lathe work to make the whole thing really work well though.

Archived