TM Glock 17

greg

As per the title, I was wondering what the best options were to metalize a TM Glock 17. Including springs etc.

Best:

High power, high cycle rate, longevity, look, feel, & gas consumption.

You know the score, but please only respond if you have done it.

Greg.

What is your budget?

You could go ahead and try and track down some of the Avalon slides that are INCREDIBLY nice BUT pricey or you could go with a PGC slide and barrel set and walk away extremely happy.

Honestly, if you're going the metal slide route all that you really "need" would be an upgraded recoil spring/guide rod. The PDI winter piston heads are nice but not necessary. I would also leave the hammer assembly the way it is. I changed out the hammer spring on my pistol from the guarder one back to the stock (thanks Sale!) and i really prefer the performance of the old hammer spring.

1, What is your budget?

2, I would also leave the hammer assembly the way it is. I changed out the hammer spring on my pistol from the guarder one back to the stock (thanks Sale!) and i really prefer the performance of the old hammer spring.

1, I'm after good stuff, so I'll consider all.

2, Thats a good tip, I was considering the guarder 'everything' kit, as it's easy for me to get.

Greg.

Mine has the PGC slide, Guarder enhanced recoil spring and metal guide rod plus the enhanced hammer spring. Nothing else has been upgraded and it works like a charm. Had to clean up the roughness in the slide at the beginning. After that it's been a joy to use. If you want even more power and accuracy, add a precision barrel and hiflow valves to that.

glock_ilmo.jpg

I built mine as a winter gun to be honest so everything below the barrel is stock as the mags hold plenty of gas normally and a hi flow would change that. The slide is another matter though, I put in a 6.01 tightened barrel and then added a 15-% recoil spring, finally for some bling I threw on a PGC silver slide (standard markings) with a metal outer barrel. Shoots at abut 310fps when cold and have not tried her hot yet, accurate and empties the mag at cold temperatures, just what I wanted, will try and dig out a picture for you later on if I remember.

Yup, its guarder for one and the finish tends to be quite poor to be honest, especially in silver and two tone, I have also heard of the black finish being a little prone to chipping and such. Personally I would get ahold of a PGC slide and outer barrel kit, costs slightly more but it is well worth it. You will also find (if your bothered!) that the markings are a little better on the PGC kit along with a higher quality of metal.

As for other bits I would buy whatever else you need/want separately, I did find that a new hammer spring was not needed with the PGC kits though.

Having said all that though I have had some really good Guarder kits in the past, OK the finish was awful on all of them but once installed and tweaked a little bit the performance was fantastic (Marui 1911 kits with 150% recoil springs etc etc). If your not hugely bothered about aesthetics then give it a try, one major benefit is that fitting slides and such on the Glock 17 is usually very very easy so its going to be pretty simple to change things over later on if you need to.

My 2p.

Considering how cool it is outside at the moment, I would say getting an "upgraded" hammer spring is a must, mine was light striking on the first two shots of each mag last weekend (using propane).

Light strikes are a problem in hot weather, not cool. If your pistol fails to work in cool weather (but works in room temperature), changing to a stronger hammer spring is the last thing you'd want to do.

As for the topic, my basic recipe for the TM G17 is a PGC slide, Guarder recoil spring set with the hammer spring omitted, and a modification to the original hammer spring to make it stronger. For further refinement, I'd go with a PDI 6.05 or Nine Ball 6.03 inner barrel, and a PDI Winter piston head.

Edit: A crude animation of what I do to the hammer spring. Ignore the dots in the first part.

.../

O

|

to...

O--

|

to...

O-

|

-Sale

At room temp using:

Propane

Excel .2s

Everything stock

Mine was chronoing ~299 fps on the first 4 shots (leaving aside the light strikes of course).

Got some parts coming in (hopefully before sunday), they are:

Laylax 6.03 tightbore, laylax "air seal" purple hop rubber, guarder reinforced recoil guide (and therefore 150% hammer spring and stronger recoil spring).

Also got the guarder steel outer barrel (14mm+), not that that'll make any difference to the power.

Will take some proper results before and after to see what the difference is. Can also try with different setups if you like to see what parts really make a difference i.e. change the barrel, chrono, change the hop, chrono, change the hammer spring, chrono (mix and match).

At room temp using:

Propane

Excel .2s

Everything stock

Mine was chronoing ~299 fps on the first 4 shots (leaving aside the light strikes of course).

Got some parts coming in (hopefully before sunday), they are:

Laylax 6.03 tightbore, laylax "air seal" purple hop rubber, guarder reinforced recoil guide (and therefore 150% hammer spring and stronger recoil spring).

Also got the guarder steel outer barrel (14mm+), not that that'll make any difference to the power.

Will take some proper results before and after to see what the difference is. Can also try with different setups if you like to see what parts really make a difference i.e. change the barrel, chrono, change the hop, chrono, change the hammer spring, chrono (mix and match).

Thank you that would be real handy.

Greg.

With the laylax 6.03mm inner barrel, laylax hop, guarder steel outer barrel and guarder recoil rod and spring installed (not that they should make much difference);

I got 311, 299, 296 (.2s). Of course at the weekend I will be able to test more thoroughly (record the results in a table and do comparisons - like I did with the VSR).

Decided to do much the same actually, using a 6.01mm with PGC outer barrel and slide etc etc I achieved over 5 shots:

The tighter barrel obviously has something to do with this, the temperature was room temperature also using green gas, just be warned if you do go for the 6.01 barrel you must use good ammo and keep it clean, it take very little for these things to jam up.

Decided to do much the same actually, using a 6.01mm with PGC outer barrel and slide etc etc I achieved over 5 shots:

The tighter barrel obviously has something to do with this, the temperature was room temperature also using green gas, just be warned if you do go for the 6.01 barrel you must use good ammo and keep it clean, it take very little for these things to jam up.

Great, who's is the barral & where to get it?

& what chrono?

Greg.

It was a madbull chrono mate, the barrel is a nine ball 6.01mm, only seems to like 0.2g and 0.43g though, this usually changes as it wears in a little bit but I can not reiterate enough that you must clean these regularly, it takes very little to jam a BB in there.

Just bear in mind that you are only going to get performance like that during the summer months!

As for parts and such: www.eliteshootingcentre.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived