Breaking My Airsoft Cherry.....

Born2BeMild

As I write this post, I am sitting in front of my computer trying not to put any weight on my right cheek. Yes Newbs, Airsoft does hurt. especially if you get shot point blank coming through a doorway by a loony holding a state of the art AEG!

Being totally new to the sport and only having a friend's word for how great it was, I went to the Urban Firefight site at Islington last night.

Didn't know what to expect really but, being human I did have a few pre-conceived ideas about what I would find. I guess that's a throwback to the times I have done paintball. I enjoyed it when I did it but, ultimately, some of the people who obviously did it regularly were so up their own backsides that they spoiled it for the new guys like me.

Nothing like that with the Airsoft crowd. I have to say, all the guys I met last night were great. There was no elitism. You got a real sense of community just by being in the room.

The organisers (who's names I didn't get-sorry guys!) were great too. My own guns are on order so, I had to hire. Unfortunately, my mate didn't realise that you had to phone and tell them that I would need to hire a gun. This wasn't a problem however, I spoke to the guy and without any hint of annoyance he went off and found me a weapon. It's things like that that let you know you are onto a winner.

Getting changed with the guys, I realised I was woefully under prepared. Black is definately the colour! But again, talking to the guys, I soon found out where to buy the kit they all had and that is definately top of my list.

Never having done CQB, I was understandably nervous on my first trip out into the playing area. Me and the other newbs were taken on a whirlwind tour of the site. It's quite big and very dark. Lots of shadows to hide in, obstacles everwhere, stairwells to run up and down and puddles all over!

Waiting for the first game to start, you suddenly get a real sense of claustrophobia and anticipation. Heartrate goes up and all of a sudden...GAME ON!

My first kill was a beaut. Hiding behind a pair of barrels, guy comes through the door, I unload a full burst straight at him and up goes his arm. Quality shot. Shouldn't have congratulated myself to much though cos his mate behind him took me out big time! Almost to the top of my head off. Up goes my arm, shouting HIT! I walk off to the re-gen and I'm off again.

We played four games in the evening and I enjoyed every one of them. If you are reading this and wondering if Airsoft is for you, go to Islington. You will love it.

I need to say thanks to the guys, sorry I didn't get your names boys but special thanks go to the organisers who made the night great, to my fire team who covered my botty more than once, to the guy who lent me an AK mag when the ones I borrowed went a bit iffy and to all the lads I chatted to while I was on site.

DARK ANGELS who were the team that were there, totally cool boys with top kit and good attitudes. Impressed.

See you all again soon but I warn you guys, next time I'll be ready!!!!

(Anyone who was there on Tues 5th Oct and are wondering who I am, I was the guy with more hair than Tina Turner!)

so do you think the islington site is a good place for a first skirmish?

me and a couple of mates were gonna go to a skirmish in a few weeks, most sites seem to be a pain to get to without a car tho, islington is nice and easy to get to (tube!!) but would've prefered a day woodland really :)

Hi Seek,

Costs at islington as far as i know are;

£40.00 play and hire (the option i did cos my kit hasnt arrived yet!)

£20.00 if you have your own gear

They have a snack/drinks bar there too. You can get tea and coffee, soft drinks and grub.

Hope this helps :)

Sounds like you had a great time B) , I am still waiting to go to my third game and its been a blast every time I go, your really lucky to have these professional places to go though were they got food and everything, we gotta use paintball fields mostly, as airsoft hasn't been around as long here as it has there. Hopefully in the spring, I'll be able to order my own gear (Aug, or M1A1 haven't decided yet :D )

Archived