.25g BB's and their applications

Kye

Just to make a couple of points...

Firstly, as others have said, power DOES creep when you change to different weights of BB.

The major implication of this is that, in the UK at least, you might have a gun tuned to shoot 0.2g BBs at a barely legal 0.95 ft/lbs in your full-auto gun.

If the police ever seize that gun, and load it with 0.3g BBs in order to test it, it's entirely likely it'll register power in excess of 1ft/lb and they'll be able to tell everybody that they seized a "lethal weapon" off one of these nutcases who does "terrorist training" every weekend.

Not good PR for airsoft and also a very good reason for sites to insist on chrono'ing guns using 0.25g or 0.28g ammo rather than bloody useless 0.2g. :rolleyes:

Secondly, and I'd hope it hardly needs saying, if your gun shoots 350fps with 0.2g BBs then no, it probably isn't smart to assume it's OK to tweak it so it carries on shooting 350fps with heavier ammo.

Having said that, if you have a gun that shoots at 1J (for example) and you can shoot 40m with 0.2g BBs, it's entirely likely that you'll suffer no noticeable loss of range AND more accuracy if you swap to 0.25g BBs.

Because they're heavier they fly straighter even though it requires more power to shoot them.

Lastly, from me, bear in mind that, although we no longer do the "1J rule" here, we WILL close threads discussing illegal, immoral (or fattening) things related to airsoft gun power.

Advocating the use of full-auto guns with power in excess of 1 ft/lb in the UK is probably a good way to get this thread closed pretty sharpish.

Word to the wise and all that, eh? ;)

xerxes You're responding to someone from the US, they have higher FPS limits than us even at indoor sites.

RSM, you're missing the point, see below:

No need to inflict extra pain when it is unnecessary. I tend to do whatever it takes to get the job done - cruelty isn't in my book.

;)

I'm not talking about FPS limits, I'm talking about courtesy and sportsmanship where your fellow players are concerned, something that seems to be sorely lacking quite often from what I've seen in the last seven years or so...

I'm not talking about FPS limits, I'm talking about courtesy and sportsmanship where your fellow players are concerned, something that seems to be sorely lacking quite often from what I've seen in the last seven years or so...

The point is that, if your gun is tuned to shoot at a power level that is legal and within your site rules then it really doesn't matter WHAT weight of BB you use since the perceived impact will be almost identical.

Most people who use heavier ammo do it because it creates a more stable flight path for the BB rather than out of any desire to inflict more pain.

Those who do wish to inflict more pain are misguided anyway since the weight of the BB makes very little difference to the perceived impact IMO.

FWIW, I suspect that a lighter BB travelling at a higher velocity would actually hurt more than a heavier BB hitting you more slowly.

If somebody was to roll a bowling ball into you at 5mph it wouldn't really "hurt" you as much as a BB strike even though the kinetic energy in a bowling ball travelling at 5mph is probably hundreds of times more than the kinetic energy in a BB fired at 300fps.

Go figure!

RSM, you're missing the point, see below:

;)

But then again, "That Guy" who repeatedly refuse to take his hits warrants nothing short of a 500-round G3 hicap loaded with .25 g ammo...

Good thing that nobody has pushed my tempers that far yet.

Archived