Vehicle SOP

Kraut

Partially due to our hands being tied as far as ROE... Its not like OEF I-III

What he said.

More often than not we can only engage, or hardly do anything for that matter, once they've shot someone down or blown up a VBIED inside of the TCP.

Once either of those happen, they've either fled the area, or have blown themselves up, obviously... There's not a whole lot we can do about it.

strange how US ROE have got tighter but British ROE have got more lenient over the years. Technically it should be threat dependant but Americans are still getting killed so i dont know why their hands are tied?

And i'd love to go into depth about Brit TTPs in regards to snap VCPs (i do love to talk about work) but OPSEC suggests that i dont.

Sorry.

Darkchild

I dont know what kind of smoke you colonials have but in the UK would have a lot of trouble obscuring anything with a the smoke we've got in the UK (unless you're an ant or a small mouse). I'm thinking of using it more in the line of giving a visual signal, in the early stages where any structure hasnt been yet set up.

Sorry if I wasnt being clear on it, but I was talking about *suitcasey* airsoft amokes, not actual military smokes.

I'm going to shut up now because there are clearly more experienced individuals on the forum that'll give much better info.

strange how US ROE have got tighter but British ROE have got more lenient over the years. Technically it should be threat dependant but Americans are still getting killed so i dont know why their hands are tied?

And i'd love to go into depth about Brit TTPs in regards to snap VCPs (i do love to talk about work) but OPSEC suggests that i dont.

Sorry.

Darkchild

Because Americans think that war is something that should fought between two teams, with proper uniforms, on a lonely battlefield, with referees... and God forbid that anyone other than combatants get killed... especially US soldiers.

(/rant)

Our US media would flip their lids at the chance to do a story about soldiers breaking ROE or being "cruel". Thus our ROE is very strict and puts us at risk for the sake of better publicity at times.

Yeah, I'm not, haven't and probably won't be in the military, but the media aspect seems to me to be the most annoying and dangerous part about it all... you do something that saves several lives, but have to break an ROE or two, the media'll be all over you, making you seem like a criminal. Strange thing, no?

I was hoping that some of the more trained and BTDT members could possibly help outline some current vehicle stop, search and seizure SOPs for security forces?

Thanks much.

step 1: shoot the c**p out of oncoming vehicle.

step 2: approach swisscheese-like smoking hunk of metal and search

Our US media would flip their lids at the chance to do a story about soldiers breaking ROE or being "cruel". Thus our ROE is very strict and puts us at risk for the sake of better publicity at times.

I feel for US soldiers. We were that way up until 2006 when our ROE flipped 180. We are now allowed to engage anything we perceive as a threat, from full on contacts to someone suspiciously digging the road up.

Darkchild

Well, it does come with some issues... the Mortar section in my unit is the cause of that Italian reporter and the bodyguard that rescued her getting shot up back in 04/05.

Granted, they were driving at high speed at a checkpoint with no lights on, and behaving suspiciously, so...

Archived