ICS Armalite problems.

Well, the magnetic catch on the dust cover is, at least. :P

The mechanical catch on the ICS M4 is so damned sensitive that it springs open if somebody sneezes in the next room. Mine has been used quite a bit now and it's just got worse and worse until it barely works at all now.

Not exactly a big deal unless you're a detail junkie like me.

So, I took a leaf out of CAs book and glued a magnet to the dust cover.

The magnet is out of a micro-scalextric car. You can get them from any shop which sells Micro Scalextric. They're sold as part of a service pack along with tyres and brushes for about £3.

I deliberately glued it to the front part of the dust cover so that it'll spring down when the charging handle is pulled cos the fake bolt isn't touching the magnet any more.

Note that I painted the magnet black after taking this pic so it doesn't stand out so much.

Just thought I'd share that little tip. :)

(In case anybody's a Scalextric fan, I didn't buy a service pack. I just take the magnets off my cars cos I think it's awful the way they "stick" to the track by magnets and I prefer to run them without.)

[edit]

Forgot pic. Doh!

How are you getting on with the gun? I'm considering one very soon

It's great. Totally solid and totally reliable.

It's not so much a question of why should you buy one. It's more a question of why not!

As far as I'm aware the ICS M4 is only £20 more expensive than a CA gun in the UK. That £20 buys you a gun which is unique, rather than being a knock-off of a 10 year old design. It buys you the ability to clear jams without switching to auto and firing shots and it buys you the ability to upgrade the gearbox without having a degree in fiddly engineering.

Haha, when I saw the title of the thread, I was thinking, "you've got to be kidding me." :lol: Well, indeed, it's a joke. :D

When I had my M733, the ejectionport dust cover also came loose after a while, but there's a little screw on the cover that holds the catch, and I found by tightening that screw, the problem was solved. Did you try that on the ICS gun?

When I had my M733, the ejectionport dust cover also came loose after a while, but there's a little screw on the cover that holds the catch, and I found by tightening that screw, the problem was solved.  Did you try that on the ICS gun?

Bah!

It's the whole catch. It's miniscule and it just doesn't like hooking up against the metal of the receiver. Also the hinge of the dust cover doesn't help. It's loose enough that the whole dust cover can move downwards and the catch just disconnects.

S'funny but given the way the rest of the ICS M4 is built like a tank, the dust cover is the one really pokey bit of the gun.

Even the foregrips are solid once you wrap a bit of "tactical" tape around them.

Incidentally, totally off topic, do many CA owners wrap tape around their foregrips?

I've seen about 3 or 4 people who do and I was just wondering if it was common.

I tend to bump the delta ring quite a bit when aiming the gun so I figure I'd end up dislodging any foregrip sooner or later if it wasn't taped up.

Bah!

It's the whole catch. It's miniscule and it just doesn't like hooking up against the metal of the receiver. Also the hinge of the dust cover doesn't help. It's loose enough that the whole dust cover can move downwards and the catch just disconnects.

S'funny but given the way the rest of the ICS M4 is built like a tank, the dust cover is the one really pokey bit of the gun.

Even the foregrips are solid once you wrap a bit of "tactical" tape around them.

Incidentally, totally off topic, do many CA owners wrap tape around their foregrips?

I've seen about 3 or 4 people who do and I was just wondering if it was common.

I tend to bump the delta ring quite a bit when aiming the gun so I figure I'd end up dislodging any foregrip sooner or later if it wasn't taped up.

Yea, I can see tightening the screw may not be a permanent fix if the gun is used heavily, but at least it fixed my M733's dust cover problem at the time. :)

No, I have no "tactical tape" wraped around my CA M15A4 Carbine's foregrip. If I do, it'd be purely for cosmetic reasons, but then it'd be a pain to change batteries. ;)

The real steel M16 family of guns has this problem too. The dust cover flips down after the first shot due to the spent brass being ejected out of the gun, so for me this isn't a problem, at least ICS has the "fake" bolt over the opening. I leave the dust cover down while playing anyways since if i need to adjust the hop-up during a game it will have to be flipped down anyways.

Again as I said on the real steel it doesn't stay shut so why should it for airsoft, again at least ICS has the fake bolt covering the slot.

The real steel M16 family of guns has this problem too. The dust cover flips down after the first shot due to the spent brass being ejected out of the gun, so for me this isn't a problem, at least ICS has the "fake" bolt over the opening. I leave the dust cover down while playing anyways since if i need to adjust the hop-up during a game it will have to be flipped down anyways. 

Again as I said on the real steel it doesn't stay shut so why should it for airsoft, again at least ICS has the fake bolt covering the slot.

That is in fact how I feel about it, and I actually perfer the TM/ICS dust cover design to CA's. :P

Archived