Ubuntu(Linux) help?

tosuzu

Now I know I'm probably in the wrong forums and I'm trying not bashing at linux for all those that are linux fan but I didn't enjoy it too much. From my PoV it wasn't worth the switch(From Xp I tried Vista and didn't enjoy it) due to my lack of knowledge on folder placement(where is the program folder?) and generally not knowing how to config some settings. I do like the screen switching and speed but in the end I don't don't see it working out too well unless I put in more effort.

Anyone willing to drive me back?

It just takes some getting used too. Some of the file structure is a little different as are some of the metaphors for working.

There are plenty of resources on the Ubuntu website and all over the interweb to learn from though. :)

It does take some getting used to. I gave up on it as well but where I work my managers love Ubuntu and when 9.04 comes out in about 13 days we're going to have an extravaganza (all night pizza, beer and lan!) and install it on every machine we can and get everyone working on it so that we're familiar with it.

It's ment to be awesome when you know how to use it. I found I'm far too used to running .exe files in Windows than to mess about with the files in Linux, but it's just getting used to it.

UNIX in all of its forms is much more complex 'underneath the hood' than any of the M$ stuff people are used to. It used to be the stuff of true gurus. The advent of Linux over a decade and a half ago started to eat into M$'s domination of the PC market.

In the past 5 years the availability of quality applications (mostly free) has made it worth considering even as a home user option. Ubuntu is certainly one of the better free variants for entry level users.

If you're not sure whether you're going to get on with it (or not) then you could do worse than download VMWare (also free) for your Windoze variant and install any number of Linux O/S's within that to try them out. VMWare effectively emulates a PC under a 'standard' Windows desktop environment.

You'll have difficulty running specilaist Windows software (notably games or anything with Windows optimised graphics and sound) in any Linux environment.

Any variant of UNIX is much more configurable than DOS Windoze, but recently the graphical environments and available tools make most things reasonably intuitive.

It's easy enough to read about the advantages of taking this route online so I'll leave it there ... why not give it a go?

D

If you've been put off by simple differences from windows then I'm afraid you'll probably be a windows sheep for the rest of your life.

If, however, you're willing to stick with it and learn something new, then you'll find anything you could ever want to know about it on the internet. Spend enough time learning and you'll eventually be able to re-build an entire distro from scratch.

If you need support, best bet would be to go to http://ubuntuforums.org/

Anything you ask here will likely end in simple opionions. Facts should be found in other forums.

There is also an excellent IRC channel (#ubuntu on irc.freenode.net), which answered a hell of a lot of my questions when I started using ubuntu.

It took me quite a while to get used to doing more complex things that seemed simple on XP, but for basic usage (internet/email/IM/media) I found it very easy to get to grips with.

On top of that the speed increase, reliability, no viruses and a massive database of free software and I got hooked :)

My advice, stick with it, and spend time learning how it all works...

Archived