imporving box mags

Kingmob3

Granted I have not used my 249 in a few months (being just a rifle man again is interesting...) but before I let it rest, I was having issues, one of which was due to the hop up, but the other was the CA box mag,

it fed unreliably 30% of the time :(

My SAW was not shooting too fast, 8.4v 4500 mAh, 360 FPS, however the box would not always keep up with it. The first thing that has been upping the power ( could have been old 9v cells) by wiring in a 8.4v mini, the other idea has been to replace the stock spring with something better (killbucket style).

Any other suggestions?

KM

*ETA*:

found part of it: half the pegs that hold the gear teeth to the spring housing are gone, so its some where to start...

New springs, higher voltage, a reliable hi-cap spring gear (found in most hi caps), and keeping the magazine clean and free from dirt is the best you can do. Some people even relocate the switch by rewiring it and cutting a more convenient location, but beyond all that, I really don't think there's much you can improve upon. ;)

P.S. Not sure if its the same, but I found the A&K hop up unit just need a new rubber and longer nub (which can be cut out of a very thin plastic ink quill used for many 'clicky' pens. Takes a few tries to get one not too long/short/rough/oddly shaped).

Is there any way to turn a standard CA Boxmag into a sound activated one?

I want to get one but they either very expensive or a possibly "dodgy" Chinese one :(

I have an A&K boxmag that i have put many thousand rounds through with out an issue. The sound activation is one of the best ideas i have seen in airsoft in many many years. I have even hooked mine up to a 9 volt battery so that it feeds faster than the standard 2 AA set up that come stock.

Archived