Does 12v = good trigger response?

jond36

higher voltage will improve the trigger lag.

7.2 will have long trigger lag.

8.4 is a paint but acceptable

9.6 is nice and crisp

10.2 is almost instant

12v will be even faster.

on auto the ROF is massily increased as well. 10.2 its silly speeds. 12v will be totaly pointless

if the gearbox is made of decent parts, not cheepy clone stiff it should be ok for a while

How about the mAH. That only effects how long it lasts correct? Is 9.6V with 5000 mAH bad? Will it fry the trigger even with or without a Mosfet?

Erm... it depends.

The rating on the side of a battery will say summat like "9.6v 3,300mAh"

That means has a capacity of 3,300 miiliamp-hours, or 3.3 amp-hours.

It can run a 1 amp circuit for 3.3 hours or 3.3 amps for 1 hour or (nearer the sort of use you'll see in an AEG) it'll run a 33amp circuit for 1/10th of an hour or 6 minutes.

However...

As I say, there's more to it than that.

Buy yourself a cheapo 3,000mAh and you might fit it in your gun and find the rate of fire is very ordinary.

Replace it with a high quality 1,400mAh battery and you might find the ROF is insanely fast.

What's going on there?

Surely the 3,000mAh battery is better than the 1,400mAh battery?

Well, not neccesarily.

Thing is, there's another thing you need to consider. A thing that battery retailers often don't mention.

That thing is the discharge rate of the battery.

In a nutshell, that's the biggest current the battery can pump out.

A cheapo battery might only have a discharge rate of 15 amps and, as a result, even though it's a big capacity it still can't give your gun a high ROF.

Conversely, a good quality battery might use cells with a higher discharge rate. These might allow maximum current flow of 45 amps and, as a result, you'll get a much faster ROF.

As a rule, cells of a higher capacity will also have a higher discharge rate. A 3,300mAh battery should have a higher discharge rate than a 1,400mAh battery.

However, in these days of cheap chinese stuff, this isn't always the case.

I had some 1,400mAh 9.6v batteries that gave my gun a higher ROF than a 2,500mAh battery I also have.

Stealthbomber's on top of it. To be more precise, the relationship between mAh and your amperage output is as follows:

mAh x C = Discharge rate in Amps

Where "C" is the discharge rating for the battery. As you can see, between two batteries with the same "C" rating, the one with the higher mAh rating will have a greater discharge. Similarly, a battery with a higher "C" will have a higher discharge amperage than one of the same mAh capacity with a lower "C" rating. To get any sense of a battery's potential, you need to know both ratings. To make things a bit more complicated, most good batteries have both a "constant C", which they can put out for an extended time, and a "burst C", an often much higher rating they can discharge for a brief initial burst. Doing your research on battery specs is crucial to getting a good one.

You want a high amp discharge for that crisp, instant trigger response you seek. As I said earlier, many people think you get the trigger response by stepping up voltage, because in general, higher voltage batteries have greater discharge ratings. But you needn't do so. A good 9.6v battery with a snappy discharge rating will give you better trigger response than a mediocre 12v, with a much more managable rate of fire to boot.

LiPo isn't a brand of battery, it's a type. They require a different type of charger, one capable of balancing their multiple cells, and tend to require more care than standard NiMH or NiCd batteries. They often (not always, though - be careful!) have better discharge rates and last longer between charges than more conventional types. As for conventional type batteries, Elite brand cells are also good, though I'm sure others will hop in here with more recommendations.

-Tuthmose

Thank you. So much clear to me know. I didn't know too much about AEGs or electric.

Just another question while we are on it. I am a Milsim jock so I am trying to get a 14 RPS or 700-800 RPM. Wanting to do this, I assume it will slow down my piston right?

So I can slow down my ROF with my mosfet by the SW computer or should I do it by a low power battery? (i.e. 8.4v low mAH)

**Mind you this is on auto, when I play semi only that was what the 12v question is for.**

mAh (mili-Amp hour) is capacity, you should always go with the biggest mAh and C rating that will fit/afford.

capacity does not change rof, just how long it will fire for (assuming they supply sufficient current

explained above)

voltage is directly linked to rof by motor kv (constant x voltage, decribing motor speed), i do

not know any kv for aeg motors, so you would really have to experiment with voltages untill

you get the rof you want.

12v will be a very high rof.

to satisfy both your desires, you will need a high discharge battery at approx 7-8v,

your switch system will limit the efficiency/trigger response and duration.

nimh batteries, good names are GP (gold pro i think), VP (possibly vapextech), elite, intellect.

VP are the only cells i have found discharge data for, 2/3A (mini type) battery are capable of

25Amp their larger cells are capable of more.

or lipo packs which are capable of much higher discharge

Archived