AEP Carbine Project

Five-sEvEn

not sure if this would work but could create a workable solution. Using the L shape idea you could create a fork like structure with thick plastic/fibreglass on the side of the gun, covering the slide and top of the gun. and you could then either duck tape it or use some strapping to secure it in place as you would end up with a platform that isnt going to move side to side and the strapping should remove most of the up and down movement. you could also add a piece of plastic to the top to form an open box that could be screwed into the slide through the rear sights, and then strapped for extra reinforcement. i will dig out my glock and to a mock up with cardboard, to make my idea a bit clearer. ;p

@ Jon L: I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about ^^; A mock up would be greatly appreciated

@ Warning: I haven't seen donut on aim lately! But knowing me, inspiration from this project probably came from him in some form or another~

Project update:

Bought the bits to complete the buffer tube mounting/extension today! Scope lines up great with the stock in it's proposed position. I think I lost my buffer tube screw though D: Might still be a while before you see another update with pics....

Ok found the camera easy, but the lead had me on hands and knees for ages, bloody thing, anyway here is the knockup of what i ment. Its only a crude version, but illustrates my idea a bit more clearly i hope.

The thinking was that straps, or duck tape would be used over the top section and round the sides on the grip. Ahole could be cut so the fire selector can still be used.

Basic shape of the knockup, the side pannels will b placed along side the slide and body the lower along the grip and the upper ontop of the slide.

DSCF1307.jpg

This is the shape it makes, you could either use this or as i have done lengthen the rear section to house the stock.

DSCF1311.jpg

Mocked up on the gun

DSCF1308.jpg

DSCF1309.jpg

DSCF1311.jpg

And with extended rear section.

DSCF1312.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

And a very crude picture on my mate with it

DSCF1314.jpg

No, well in theory tape could be used as, if you create a sturdy enough base then there will be very little movement due to the design, hence will need very little in the way of fastening. It really depends on the thickness of the material and the material used, for the parts around the slide.

I think to get around the grip you would either have to use some form of reshapable, plastic or fiberglass, or milliput to create a solid base that the tube can go into.

You could even run the box part along the whole slide to give it more strength.

Not sure if you have seen or not but the newer aeps seem to have metal top slides. If you can find a glock one or just switch to the p226 then mounting onto the slide could be alot easier. But i think that the best way in which you will keep whatever you do secure is to make sure that it is a tight fit, so there is no chance for momentum to build up and possibly damage the slide or stock.

..Just picked it up again and had another look at it there is lots of room just above where my hand sits so the L shape could be quite think at the top, allowing it to stay in place. I think as you have the parts, it would be best for you to just try different mock ups and see what works really.

Hehe, thanks for the effort but I'm still not exactly sure what you had in mind. I think I'm just going to stick with my original idea as it sounds much more sturdy and elegant in its execution (all I needed was a bracket, a screw, and a few tubes). My current design seems incredibly strong, I can hold the gun up by the silencer or stock and the entire design does not flex nor wobble. My stock mount doesn't provide much against lateral movement at the moment, but I'm working on a sturdier solution right now.

Still can't find my stock screw though! D:

fair play to you, if you already have a working solution, then just improve on it. Only reason i didnt say use the rail converter, is i had one and the metal in it was horrid so so only used it once and got rid. To decrease lateral movement you could add some sort of side sheath to run along the slide, as a sort of guide, the longer the better.

I think that your scope is far too far back, mate. In fact the length of pull looks incredibly out of whack - the rear end of the gun is too long.

What I think might work better is: Add a long rail to the bottom of the G36 grip (so, the top of the gun) and slap a reflex sight on that.

Then work something with the stock - attach the buffer tube to the back of the slide, or the back of the frame somehow.

That'd make it much more ergonomical and practical, IMO.

@ Jon L: Maybe it's just my luck but I purchased the Marui rail (as the CYMA copy wasn't out at the time) and it seems to be incredibly sturdy. Maybe you got a bad batch? As for decreasing lateral movement for the stock, I think I'm just going to tap my secondary rail. It seems like the easier thing to do as the amount of stress that would be put on the mount to prevent the stock from moving would probably break my original idea in the first skirmish.

@ Darklite:

It's true in the cartoon mockup, the scope may sit too far back, but in my current mockup where the back of the scope meets the back of the m16 riser, the cheekweld with the stock is perfect and sits just at eye relief length with the scope (probably due to the *suitcase* quality of the leapers scope :P ). I rather like the length of the gun as it makes aiming at longer distances easier than say, a CQB length gun which sounds more like what you're describing. Comparing it against my M24, the length of pull does not appear to be as long as you may imagine; either that or I just like long guns (as its quite a bit longer than my P90) .

2aj8e9c.jpg

This mock up is not entirely representative of the final build. No holes have been drilled yet, only pre existing holes have been used to assess length of pull, cheekweld and weight balance. Quite sad that even though this mockup has the stock at the same length as the first mock up, the gun feels much more back heavy. I like my guns to be a bit more balanced...

Archived