Custom grenade launcher plans/build log

DFM56

Plans are complete, and I have the materials (and a new dremel   :D ) to start building on monday. I think all I'm missing is some sheet metal, but I can get that before I start building. The plans are adapted from a launcher found on these very forums, forgot who made it though... The idea was to stack three 1/2" pieces of wood together, with a section of the middle layer cut out to house the trigger and firing mechanism. I adapted this to a double-barreled design, where both grenades will fire at the same time. I can always make a second receiver that will have a firing mech capable of shooting one at a time. 

th_mid.jpg

Middle layer of wood, with trigger (red, not shaped, I was too lazy), trigger axle (grey), firing pin housing (green), firing pins (yellow), and guide rod/spring (blue)

th_shell.jpg

all three layers combined. You can see that the outer layers are cut to act as guide rails for the firing pin housing. Note the use of an m16 grip (bad attempt at a MIAD/MOE from an old model)

th_shellcomp.jpg

Completed receiver, the cyan parts are chaped sheet metal that will serve to cover the back of the grenade and protect the firing pin housing from being pushed forward accidentally/damaged. 

th_comp1.jpg

th_compopen.jpg

completed launcher. the black cylinder on the top will be the locking pin, without a handle in the picture. It will be spring-loaded 

the outside of the receiver will be plated with sheet metal of some kind, and will hopefully be polished and sealed, while the grip and barrel assembly will be painted black. It's pretty blocky in model form, but I'll cut it up as I see fit during production so it will look better. I'm considering a buffer tube for m4 stocks, but I'm going to use this as more of a hand cannon than anything so I'm not sue what I'm going to do about that. I'll probably add a place to put one though.

I'm also considering an over/under design for v2, which will feature the ability to fire one shell at a time. I'll experiment with choke patterns if I do that, one barrel will be standard and the other would have a choke for better groupings.  

I'll update when I have some build progress. I'm really looking forward to this, I can't wait to see her with two madbull HP co2 shells going off at the same time   :) Call me crazy, but I would **** bricks if I heard that downrange. Also planned is a custom fiberglass scabbard that will attach to either my dropleg or the back of my wasatch, also inspired by a custom job from here.  

I'd agree with that, I thought about doing somthing like this my self.

Also if it helps for individual fire you can get the design from the Wa Shan double barrel shotgun, which when i stripped down looked simple enough.

Carry on!

You might want to raise the pivot point of the trigger a bit higher for leverage. You might find the current design impossible to pull with two shells loaded.

Good point, I'll be sure to raise that when I'm making it. thanks!

EDIT- changing the design to an over-under. After some thought, I've decided that it will be so muh easier to build a strong trigger mech with this design, and it will be much easier to carry.

lol saw this & though about this thread str8 away!

Strange thing is, I use the F-A-N all the time when I play team fortress 2, and I never connected the two  :D

I really need to make one like that, best part is, I can decompile the model files from the game so I have scale drawings already!

Started on the barrel, not enough progress to walk my lazy *albatross* over to the camera. 

Strange thing is, I use the F-A-N all the time when I play team fortress 2, and I never connected the two  :D

I really need to make one like that, best part is, I can decompile the model files from the game so I have scale drawings already!

Started on the barrel, not enough progress to walk my lazy *albatross* over to the camera. 

lol see that was my idea for the over under your making! make it with a full stock or as a sawn off like i did with my 203 launcher!

lol see that was my idea for the over under your making! make it with a full stock or as a sawn off like i did with my 203 launcher!

it would be so awkward to carry a full stock though... unless you put it on your back, but the draw wouldn't be as bad-*albatross* as the drop leg I have planned  :D

Picture time!

th_036.jpg

this piece will hold the barrel, providing a flat surface on the bottom. I don't like how tall it came out, so I'll be cutting it down.

th_037.jpg

almost complete barrel assembly. just needs a sheet metal casing around the first half or so. thinking of cutting the bottom barrel shorter for a more aggressive look. thoughts?

th_033.jpg

th_034.jpg

mock up of hand guard. there will be a hole that goes through this and the barrel holder, so the barrel can pivot on a bolt. one of the pictures shows a rough idea of how I want it to be shaped when it's done. the back half will be bolted to the reciever and capped with sheet metal, but the rest will be wood.

th_035.jpg

barrel holder in half of the hand guard.

I can't believe that these didn't come out like *suitcase* like every other picture I've taken with my iphone has!

I'll be looking into that for other projects, thanks :) ( I need something like this for an G41 stock somewhere down the line and I had no idea what to use!)

as for this one, the reciever will hopefully be plated in a thin sheet aluminum, and polished or painted. still looking for something good to put on the mahogany grips. I'll check with my father, he's the resident carpenter and I'm sure he has a suitable varnish or poly.

That's more like it...swarf and sawdust shots are what we want, not CAD shots :P

Looking promising DFM', keep it up ;)

aww, but I like my renders  :D

Thanks mate! Work shall continue on monday after I get some more materials. 

Archived