Yet another random laptop hassle

Stealthbomber

OK, in a nutshell...

I have a Dell latitude X1 and WinXP is the only officially supported OS.

I have installed Windows Vista Business on it for a variety of reasons.

I got all the various drivers to work just fine.

There's one problem remaining:- I can't get a program called Quickset to work with Vista.

Basically, there's two versions of Quickset which might work.

Firstly, there's the XP version designed for use with the X1.

Secondly (try to stay with me here), I checked compatibility list of laptops which use the same software that the X1 uses, found one that also has a Vista version of the Quickset software and downloaded that Vista version of Quickset.

Problem is that neither version wants to work.

The XP version reports that it is for the wrong OS (duh!).

The Vista version reports that it isn't designed for this laptop. (Gah!)

Sooooo.....

Anybody know a way to force the software to install or a way to edit the properties of the file so it'll install?

It's not the end of the world.

The main use of the Quickset software is to control stuff like Bluetooth, Wifi and Ethernet connections as well and controlling the on-screen display when you adjust the brightness or volume.

The volume and brightness controls still work and I can go into the control panel to enable or disable the various features but it'd be nice if I could get Quickset to work because it's a major piece of front-end software for Dell laptops.

So anybody know of a way I can get Quickset to work on my laptop?

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I don't think the program would work right even if you did force it, as it was meant for certain pieces of hardware that you don't have in your computer. So even if you could get it installed, it probably would be useless.

I would love to know if it is possible to force a program to work and work properly, because I love the power manager that came with my Toshiba laptop on XP, but is incompatible with Vista/7. It was so much easier to disable the standby mode.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I don't think the program would work right even if you did force it, as it was meant for certain pieces of hardware that you don't have in your computer. So even if you could get it installed, it probably would be useless.

Well, that's the thing. I DO have the correct hardware.

Maybe I didn't explain properly...

I checked the compatibility list for the version of Quickset that I need.

It says the XP version works with the latitude X1 (mine) and also the Latitude D420.

Soo...

I pull up a list of all the available downloads for the D420.

Sure enough, it says I should download the same file for the D420 in XP.

It ALSO has another version of Quickset designed for Vista though.

Basically, the D420 and X1 use the same XP software so it seems likely that they'll also use the same Vista software IF I can persuade it to install. :unsure:

I managed to install a game onto vista that was designed for windows 95/98. It had previously refused to install saying "you need 95 or 98" to wich i responded that i had vista!!

The way i managed to achieve an install was to tell the Compatibility to treat it as windows 98. Basically tricking the program into believing that one OS was another OS.

IIRC compatibility os accessed from the .exe installer Right click>proeprties>compatibility.

Hope you can manage to get something from it.

PS why the rubarb did you intentionally install a vista OS!! that is the sillyest idea i have ever herd. The only thing that Vista does better than XP is annoying the user with fancy pretty stuff that wastes resorses.

probably failing a BIOS ID string style check, used to be all too common on Sony Vaios - like when you bought a euro spec one and nobody had bothered their *albartroth* to update drivers for it, yet the identical (bar keyboard layout and BIOS ID string) Jap and US ones did have updates available to download..

Archived