Where to find a generic charger

DamnLion

I have a 9-cell 10.8V battery (I think NiMH, not sure) that I'm looking to charge.

I don't want to order from a shop, as I go back to school very shortly.

Is there some kind of generic shop that stocks something that will charge this battery? Everything I've found has been 9.6V or lower, or over $50.

You can always get a PO Box on campus i guess

Hard to say for the price point you are looking for, but worth noting that you need to see if you can determine what battery type you have only a NIMH charger will charge a NIMH

The fact that the cheap chargers do 1-8 cells and you having a 9 cell pack make it more difficult

I suppose its because its not entirely necessary for everyone. I had a really nice one at one point, but someone decided it would be nicer underneath their car tires.

Personally, I don't want to pay $50 + shipping to get a decent charger.

On another note.. If I removed one cell from my battery, I'm left with one positive and one negative end. I tried simply placing a strip of metal across which is touching each end of the cells, placing a cardboard cover over, and taping everything in place with no success.

I'm guessing the ends need to be connected with a certain type of metal, and soldered?

Dear God...

You cant tape wires to battery cells, ofcourse they have to be soldered in place properly, using lead free solder and a nice hot iron (40watts or more, unless you're Stealth who simply scares the solder into melting).

I suggest going to youtube and looking up some soldering tutorials.

You can get cheap 'wallwart' type chargers very easily, just needs to be about 1amp (1000mah) output and 12v, that should work fine as a fast-trickle charger (what mah is your pack?).

Dear God...

I know.. I've never done a damned thing with batteries. :(

not sure about mAh either.

given that the end of the battery is now two, flat, adjacent circles (think of a regular 9.6V) what would need to be soldered on to connect the two? Any metal strip? or something specific?

i apologize in advance for the newbishness with batteries.

What is the layout of your pack- is it 2 rows of 4 cells, side by side like shotgun barrels? Im having trouble visualising how the pack is looking and where the remaining wires are- can you take a picture or draw a diagram using MS paint? That would be easier to understand. Sounds like you removed the last cell that was across the end of the pack, and now there is a gap between the two end cells that needs bridging with either a battery bar ( a la r/c car battery style ), or with a short length of 14-12g wire. I wouldnt use any old piece of metal though, as it simply wont accept the solder and keep dropping off, or worse it will act as a resistor and over heat. Copper would be good...

Sounds like you removed the last cell that was across the end of the pack, and now there is a gap between the two end cells that needs bridging with either a battery bar ( a la r/c car battery style )

Thats exactly what I did. It just looks like a regular 9.6v now. I used a copper bar and electrical repair solder across the two end cells, slow charged for 10 hours and got no-where.

I suppose at this point it would be easier to just purchase a new battery and charger. You'd probably cry if you saw the condition of this one.

Hang about, are you saying that there are 2 positive terminals sticking out this end of the pack- or a positive (nipple) and negative (flat end of the cell)?

Its easy to solder a copper bar or short length of scrap wire in place, just requires an iron and solder- if you dont have either, it would be worth picking something up rather than trashing a perfectly good battery.

Sounds like spending a little bit of money on a decent battery and charger may be required though- decent power in, decent power out as they say.. :/

nono, one negative, one positive. I've already soldered it, but for some reason it doesn't work. It seemed to charge (it got slightly warm) and then didn't turn over the motors I was trying it on.

Thanks for your help though, I'm sure I just need to invest in a real charger and battery

you may have killed a cell, it can be difficult to solder cells but very easy to damage them

with heat. get a decent battery and a good charger then you dont have to worry about

under/overcharging and will always get the best performance from the cells.

trickle charging gives the poorest performance from nicd/mh

Archived