Madbull DRM Tool

Unit 318

How does the Madbull DRM Tool work on an ICS M4? I know it 'creates new threads' but I'm a bit confused on what it actually does. Does anyone have pictures or a video of this product being used? Or can anyone tell me what exactly it does?

Thanks!

[Link]

It works the same way as any other thread cutter & it does what it says: It cuts a new thread to the stated size.

Why, I don't know. I'm guessing that some receivers have a slightly different thread cut into them & this opens them up a bit, allowing 'stiff' fitting delta rings to screw on more easily.

Greg.

How does the Madbull DRM Tool work on an ICS M4? I know it 'creates new threads' but I'm a bit confused on what it actually does. Does anyone have pictures or a video of this product being used? Or can anyone tell me what exactly it does?

Thanks!

[Link]

Don't buy the Madbull one it's a complete *Ubar* to use.

If you need to resize delta ring threads get this one Receiver die

Just to be clear to the OP, the one to buy is the last one on the Brownells page Libris linked to: #080-598-126, 1.250"-18 tpi Die

I would also recommend getting a 2 1/2" Die Stock (Item # DS-2-1/2) which holds the die securely and acts as a handle. Turning the die by hand without a die stock will be difficult at best. Cutting the first few threads is doable, but to re-cut the threads all the way to the receiver, isn't easy. Prior to getting the die stock I've used everything from a strap wrench to a screwdriver jammed into the gap of the die to turn the die and cut the threads. It can be done that way, but the die stock makes it relatively painless.

In answer to your original question, the die will re-cut/re-profile the upper receiver's threads to real steel specs. Sometimes threads get damaged, or are out of spec. The die corrects this. Using the analogy of a screw and a nut: think of the threads on the receiver as a screw, the die as the nut. The die is screwed onto the threads of the upper receiver. Because the die is made of stronger material, has a cutting edge on it's inner threads, and is heat treated to last, as it is screwed onto the threads of the upper receiver it cuts away excess material forcing the upper receiver's threads to conform to the threads of the die. As you can see from the product pictures the die has a smooth outer surface, making gripping of it difficult: which is why a die stock (a die holder with long handles) is the best accessory you can possibly by for the die. The second most important accessory you'd need is some kind of cutting oil. Pretty much any cutting oil can be used. I've even used silicone oil in the past when I couldn't find my cutting oil. The cutting oil, or some kind of lubricant helps the cutting action of the threads.

So this is what you do:

* Apply some cutting oil onto the receiver threads you're about to cut.

* With the die in the die stock, start slowly screw it onto the receiver's threads. Make sure the die is lined up properly to the receiver threads and not at an odd angle. Check and recheck.

* Screwing the die onto the threads, back it out every quarter turn. You may have to back it out completely once in a while and clean the metal shavings off the threads (I like using compressed air (watch your eyes!)). You'll find the first few threads relatively easy to cut as the threading on the die is tapered initially. The further down the threads you go the harder it'll be. GO SLOW. I'll say it again: GO SLOW. Going too fast may put too much stress and torque on the receiver and snap your receiver. Also the further down the threads you go, the more often you will have to back out the die. At first it'll be a quarter turn, by the end it may be every 5 degrees.

* GO SLOW!

or instead of spending the $100 for the tools take it to a gun shop and they will do it for less than $50

It's not $100. It's a little over $65 + S&H. If you only have to do it once in your life ... yeah that may be cheaper. If like me you've done over 16 receivers now for myself, customers and people on my team, buying the tools made sense once I realized I'd be doing more than 1 receiver.

Edit: and some airsofters may be in countries that don't have gun shops, or may not have gun smiths at their local airsoft shop who have the tools. Some may have to mail the receiver to a shop, which between labor and S&H may cost the same as spending $49.99 for the die + $15.50 for the die stock. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

It's not $100. It's a little over $65 + S&H. If you only have to do it once in your life ... yeah that may be cheaper. If like me you've done over 16 receivers now for myself, customers and people on my team, buying the tools made sense once I realized I'd be doing more than 1 receiver.

Edit: and some airsofters may be in countries that don't have gun shops, or may not have gun smiths at their local airsoft shop who have the tools. Some may have to mail the receiver to a shop, which between labor and S&H may cost the same as spending $49.99 for the die + $15.50 for the die stock. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

o yea, very good point there wasn't thinking about that. it will be a very good deal :)

• 1 month later...

Not the sandpaper bit certainly :huh: .

Excellent post uscmCorps.

That size Die however, if you can find one in the UK, may be very expensive.

We do tend to get ripped off over here on most things <_<

If you're not cutting a thread from scratch (i.e. you're just cleaning up or repairing an existing one), there are tools called 'Die Nuts', which are basically just a Die without the slot, and they have a hexagonal outer, which you can turn with a spanner.

A normal die has that slot so that the overall diameter of the thread can be adjusted slightly (by a few thou), to get a perfect fit, it's not neccessary for just cleaning/repairing a thread.

Just to confuse things, you can also get Dies without the slot, and you can get hexagonal Die Adaptors that hold the die (slotted or un-slotted), which you can then use a spanner on.

For UK members...

Try these guys...Tracy Tools

Their prices are very reasonable, and although that size isn't listed, all their lists quote 'larger/other sizes available'.

If they don't stock it, they may know somewhere that does.

I wouldn't be too hopeful though.

from what I can make out, that thread is pretty unique, and only used for that one particular application, so you'll probably have to get it from the States.

My suggestion would be to get a few friends/team-mates (with M4/16s) to chip in to get one.

I'm sure once word gets round that you have one, you'll get requests to do others, charge a few quid each to recoup your outlay ;)

Archived