Basically, this is replica of DS Arms short FN FAL. I always quite fancied one of these but the Classic Army one is a tad expensive. I was all set to stump up a couple of hundred quid for a clone when Gunfire in Poland put the Cyma one in their sale - £120 delivered. Promptly ordered. Well eventually. Gunfire might be cheap but their web site is either all Polish or a mixture of mainly English but some critical messages in Polish. Tricky. Also found that despite offering to accept Maestro cards the Polish paysite you are sent to has other ideas! Eventually paid with Paypal despite a small surcharge for that. Anyhoo. Four days later and it was here.
The gun. It's the full stock version but with a short barrel and standard fore grip. Not unlike a sawn-off SLR. The top cover has a RIS rail running along its length. Externally, it looks great.
Unfortunately when the gun arrived the stock was broken. I never bothered contacting Gunfire and set
about fixing it along with reducing the power down to something more reasonable that 370fps. Taking the top cover off I noticed that the rod that supports the blowback mechanism was quite rusty. Well, at least it means it's steel! I also noted that getting the stock off requires taking out the gearbox. Ah well. I soon had the gun in bits and had a look at the stock.
Turns out a captive nut had pulled out of its recess splitting the plastic. After a bit of head scratching (and hunting for my drill) I widened out the small hole behind the nut and used a 50mm M6 bolt to secure it from the other end. Not just fixed, stronger. There was slight play at the bottom of the stock where it joins the receiver, a couple of shims cut from aluminium fixed that. To be fair, I'm sure most folks wouldn't have noticed. The battery is stored in the stock and there is a plastic frame for an 8.4v mini-battery to sit in. It won't take a 9.6v without modification. I opted to leave the cage and just took the end off of the inside to allow for the slightly bigger 9.6v pack. I didn't try but I'm pretty sure that you couldn't fit a large battery.
The hold open lever was very stiff but more or less functional; you have to hold it down to allow the bolt to pass to lock it open. It works, just. I couldn't leave it alone. After knocking out a couple of pins I polished the parts, cut about a third off the spring they had in it and reprofiled the catch to let the bolt easily slide over it. Reassembled it works perfectly.
I was quite surprised to find that the V3 gear box used torx screws to hold it together like Marui guns. The wiring was neat and serviceable. Inside the box the Marui similarities continue with the spring being held within the piston by a small weight. However, the piston head is much easier to remove than Marui ones. With the gearbox apart I cut the spring down and reshimmed the gears as well as adjusting the angle of engagement by adding a plastic washer behind the piston head and filing down the last tooth on the piston. While I was rummaging looking for a Deans connector I came across an AWS microfet that I had bought ages ago so I rewired the gearbox and fitted the fet.
All back together it now shoots around 320 which is a tad less than I was hoping for but perfectly acceptable. I find cutting springs to be a total shoot regards the end result. Haven't checked the rate of fire since the battery was dying but it sounds pretty good.
The gun is not really skirmishable in the UK out of the box and needs the spring changed or adjusted. With that done it would make a great addition to any body's collection and (apart from the broken stock on mine) represents superb value for money. Unfortunately, there are no custom parts available either so all you get to add is a sling and a sight if you want. Seems a shame not to use the top RIS.
Looking at the gun the low cost is not evident and picking it up it's quite substantial. It's only when you look closely you notice that some of the tolerances aren't as good as they could be but for £120 I'm delighted.