Another casting question

Tam

Basically, Im installing a full metal body and metal sights onto my tokyo marui desert eagle. Going to install new internals before too long. But I am looking at a new grip. Not too happy with having a full metal deagle with a plastic grip :P

After seeing the biohazard desert eagle grip i thought do something along those lines, and am contemplating the idea of a chrome grip on a full black desert eagle (just to be rather different).

Was thinking do a primary mould of the original grip using plaster of paris and making the new mould out of copper coins or something (not using it in the final project.)

But then on the copper grip I would use modelling putty (something thats sculptable and dries hard) to create then new custom contoured grip.

But to create a shiny silver grip, what would people suggest? simply using aluminium rods from a hardware store melted down and a silicone mould created from my copper and putty prototype?

Many thanks.

There are plenty of options out there if you want to actually cast the parts in metal. Aluminum is likely you best bet as it is readily available and within the capabilites of a home setup. I suggest taking a look at some backyard foundry websites. There are plenty. Specifically you may want to explore lost foam casting as it is the easiest. Surface finish wont be as fine as say, investment casting or a good sand casting, but for hobby level work it gets the job done.

I've done a little home casting; without decent moulds you won't be getting a decent level of detail on your grips. I suggest you buy some vulcanised rubber, heat resistant silicone or similair and cast in lead or white metal. You can melt these in an old saucepan over your gas hob; it's very useful stuff if you need metal castings at home without tons of equipment.

Copper has a relatively high melting temperature, and most copper coins are actually made of steel; use a magnet to differentiate. I don't think it'd be practical - for your first idea I suggest silicone moulds and polyester or epoxy casting resin.

good luck,

-Matt

Archived