DIY auto wind highcap mag

Phuncz

I hate highcaps. The rattling, the winding. I love my midcaps for my AUG, 170rds of pure rattleless and windingless fun. But for the UMG/UMP there are no midcaps available, except for the Ares but they are Ares specific. So I'm stuck with two highcaps for my DE UMP. I've thought about modding MP5 mags to fit the magwell, but I have no idea if it would be easy. I have thought about modding Ares lowcaps but it would need to much modding to work.

So I thought, why not make the cheap DE mags auto winding ? To quote Top Gear: "How hard can it be ?"

IMG_0763.jpg

This is a DE highcap mag and as you can see in the bottom portion (the right of the image) there is room for something like AAA batteries and a small motor. I'd like to keep it entirely in the mag if possible and with a button on the mag make it auto wind. The available room is 80mm * 30mm * 7mm or 3.1in * 1.2in * 0.3in. Maybe someone knows of a system I could use that's already small enough, otherwise I have to DIY it completely.

Now since I want to do it right the first time, I always like to think about stuff with other people's suggestions and ideas, to avoid stuff I just plainly didn't think of. So if anyone has input on this, I would be VERY grateful. Ofcourse this project will be updated.

I'm confused as to why you're making an auto-winding hicap if you hate hicaps ;)

To make it into a non-rattling midcap you could remove the winding mechanism and attach a 6mm internal diameter tube, or part of a cheap STANAG midcap to the BB feeding tube of your hicap.

I'm confused as to why you're making an auto-winding hicap if you hate hicaps ;)

Because at least one of the disadvantages of highcaps is diminished if I make it autowinding. The rattling is something else I'm pondering on and I was thinking of using a thick plastic bag inside so the rattling would be very silent.

I think with the size of mag your trying to use this will be pointless. By the time you have got all of the motor, electrics, controls and batteries in that space, you will have so little space for bbs, you may as well just use midcaps, if you can find them, or buy them second hand. Or just put up with the rattle that highcaps have and the winding.

You could try creating a winding system to attach to the bottom of the highcap. It would make the mag longer, and oyu would have the possibility of it breaking off if its not done well, but its another idea to throw in there.

In the area I described in the first post, there are no BB's located. All BB's are located in the huge gap in the middle.

But OK, I see most of you don't see this working, I guess it is for good reason. I'll see if I can buy midcaps somewhere second hand. Thank you for the advice !

• 4 months later...

I've just had an idea about this: The M4 9mm conversion kits that several manufacturers now make come with Uzi midcaps - which could be modified to sit inside the hicap shell of the UMP and feed into the top of the UMP mag! I'd imagine MP5 midcaps would be easier to find, but the curve in the mags would be impossible to remove, especially as the feed port on the MP5s is at the front of the mag.

Thx for the tip, I'll look into it !

Since you brought up the topic: I'm inclined to never use the UMP again because the hicaps are bad and I can't find midcaps. So hopefully this would work.

I've just had an idea about this: The M4 9mm conversion kits that several manufacturers now make come with Uzi midcaps - which could be modified to sit inside the hicap shell of the UMP and feed into the top of the UMP mag! I'd imagine MP5 midcaps would be easier to find, but the curve in the mags would be impossible to remove, especially as the feed port on the MP5s is at the front of the mag.

Good idea. IIRC, due to the rarity and cost of real steel UMP magazines, real steel UMP owners converted theirs to run with grease gun and other more common magazines. Food for thought.

Archived