CAR-15 Stock Project

Kenworth W900

Hi guys, another new project - XM607 stock :D

CommandoClosed.jpg

I have already cut down my M16A1 stock to length and I have some more bits planned out. What I really need though is someone to post up some pics of their TM CAR-15 stock. ATM I am struggling to understand how the internal stock mechanism actually works.

When I am done I may move onto other parts of the gun too, but stock first.

Let me know if you might have any questions. I hope this helps!

1. The stock attached, in the open position.

gxstock01.jpg

2. With the stock removed. This is in the locked, open position. Notice that the bottom "tube" controls the locking and extends back and forth.

gxstock02.jpg

3. With the stock removed. This is in the locked, closed position.

gxstock03.jpg

4. This is the selector side. Notice that the locking mechanism is on both sides of the "tube" (but is reversed...the locking notches are on the bottom instead of the top). This allows the stock to be unlock by turning the tube clockwise.

gxstock04.jpg

5. The stock is actually screwed on to the bottom "tube" only. The buffer tube stays free - the locking switch bolts on the bottom tube.

gxstock05.jpg

Nah, tbh, I will probs just buy some. Why do you ask Burke?

Hi. The hand guards on the real GX5857/M607 appear to be standard M16 hand guards that were sawed down to make shorter. The front cap also appears to be a standard triangular one, but there is a rear cap that holds everything in place (there are no "teeth" that grips the delta ring). If you can make parts for the stock, the hand guards shouldn't be too hard?

I was just going to buy some of the repro ones instead BaBa, I know its not true to the original but they are so much more practical.

Agree - not only are they more practical, they're much easier to install. I think mine aren't exactly cut to the correct specifications and become a bit of a pain to install and remove. I've seen some really good reproductions that fit without any additional parts or modifications. Definitely a good idea to go with the repro.

link to repros?

Here are a few that I know of (note that these are the repro's that do not need the rear hand guard plate):

Tony's Custom

PK

There's a few others, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I can ask around if the two above are sold out. I've never purchased anything from PK, but Tony's is good. I hope that helps.

Thats where I am getting mine from BaBa, either Tony's or PKF. I have been reliably informed that they are direct drop ons to an XM177 front end kit from G&P, which I'm gonna use.

Still need to find someone charitable enough to bother with the hassle of sending them over here though. Unfortunately most companies in the US won't send interntionally to avoid the extra hassle. Since we are on the subject here - if anyone is reading this in the USA and would like to help me out to get a set of these handguards then please let me know. I will obviously cover all costs and I can make payment via paypal or other.

Thats where I am getting mine from BaBa, either Tony's or PKF. I have been reliably informed that they are direct drop ons to an XM177 front end kit from G&P, which I'm gonna use.

Still need to find someone charitable enough to bother with the hassle of sending them over here though. Unfortunately most companies in the US won't send interntionally to avoid the extra hassle. Since we are on the subject here - if anyone is reading this in the USA and would like to help me out to get a set of these handguards then please let me know. I will obviously cover all costs and I can make payment via paypal or other.

If no one steps up Ill be happy to help you out. I'm actually returning to North America later this week. I've worked with Tony's before so it'll be no hassle.

Thanks BaBa, when you're back around in the US I will take you up on that and we may get something sorted out.

In the mean time, if anybody else has any XM607 related projects or completed builds, please do share here. It would be great to see them.

Personally, my project is not entirely stagnant, but I am waiting for some tubing to arrive. Then I will play around with more details on the stock. Since I am using a later hollow type M16A1 buttstock I think this may actually prove easier than it would be with a solid type - less drilling etc.

Thanks BaBa, when you're back around in the US I will take you up on that and we may get something sorted out.

In the mean time, if anybody else has any XM607 related projects or completed builds, please do share here. It would be great to see them.

Personally, my project is not entirely stagnant, but I am waiting for some tubing to arrive. Then I will play around with more details on the stock. Since I am using a later hollow type M16A1 buttstock I think this may actually prove easier than it would be with a solid type - less drilling etc.

Sure thing - I'll IM you when I get there.

I think I've posted this before, but here are a few more details of my XM. The base is a WA M4A1, the externals are a mix of Colt and repro parts. I realize that there are a few inconsistencies against the real one.

gx585701.jpg

gx585702.jpg

gx585703.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

BaBa: Where did you get the correct take-down pins?

Hi.

The receiver is a PRIME receiver kit that was customized (it's actually an USAF M16 receiver). All the M607 hardware on the receiver as well as the compensator came from a collector who built retro parts. The only Colt part on the receiver is the dust cover, which came from an SP-1 (I have a slightly used spare for sale if anyone wants one). There used to be an advertisement on the NDS website for the hardware, but I apologize, I can't seem to locate it. There's a chance he no longer makes the kit.

The entire kit came with the take down pins, magazine catch assembly, selector, trigger guard, and bolt stop. I never got around to installing the selector and bolt stop - all the other parts were a drop in with little to no modifications needed. It's a minor detail so I left it alone for now, but would love to somehow get it in there. For reference, here's the detail shot of the M607 selector and bolt stop. It might be hard to tell, but the shape of the older selectors are a bit different from the modern Colt M4's.

gx58570104.jpg

gx58570105.jpg

I hope this helps.

Archived