Help on creating a Zombie Theme Game.

bankz5152

Shameless self promotion I know, but htis is from our 'zombie' game last night, more of a roleplay with airsoft than out and out skirmish; team of civilian survivors of Rage virus outbreak against government forces in a our hospital site, with a mob of 'infected' thrown into the mix!

UCAP 29 Weeks Later promo

Where did you hold this zombie game evilrobotshane, and are you planning more?

It was at Hit & Run Tactical Assault near Dublin. I'm not really planning more though, there was just too much wrong with it to be easily tweaked, it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up instead and I've lost my enthusiasm for it at the moment. There's some nice ideas and rules being thrown about here though which could be adapted for it, so maybe someday.

For what it's worth, it was to some extent designed to be a live-action version of the board game Last Night on Earth which provided fun mechanics like a random set of objectives each go-around, and searching for items including guns.

Basing off stuff I've seen in the Pacific NW (sorry if this stuff has been posted before).

- Make it a competition of sorts. 4-6 man team needs to get it, collect something, and get out in a set amount of time. Team that makes it out fastest and with the lowest amount of losses wins. Have different scenarios as well, which each team runs through.

- Unarmed zombies. Like others have said, in a CQB environment it is easy for survivors to be overwhelmed.

- No AEGs/automatic weapons. People with AEGs tend to flip to auto in stressful situations. Maybe have an "armory" somewhere with a couple AEGs with one low cap each, to force the survivors to conserve their ammo in said AEGs.

- Stick to springers and GBBs. Springers are cheap enough that people can easily buy one or two and it won't cost them an arm and a leg. Sticking to GBB pistols and springers (either pistols or shotguns) will a.) limit the amount of fire a team can put out, which makes it easier, and b.) makes it easier on the people playing zombies (being lit up at point blank range is not fun).

- To get more zombies, give them some sort of prize, like a free game at the facility at a later date or a zombie only raffle. Also encourage them to dress up as "zombies" (i.e. torn clothing, fake blood, etc etc). If you're up against 20 people moaning covered in blood and running at you, it adds an awesome element to the game.

- Have zombies "grapple" with survivors to "kill them". Trust me, seeing your friend go down under 4 or 5 people covered in blood is both cool and unnerving.

Here are some pictures from Spokane Airsoft's Z-Day II.

71938_10150300774895441_814315440_15422022_795667_n.jpg

72488_10150300775390441_814315440_15422029_3797082_n.jpg

Zombies are supposed to be able to take multiple hits, so I'd suggest making it so they don't have the normal hit taking rules. You could do this by having them wear several plastic cups or balloons that would break when shot, then when all of the targets on them had been shot out they have to go respawn.

So for example you have a zombie with three targets on their chest (or arms where ever) and they keep on moving until all targets have been hit, head shots should be instant kill (require full face masks for zombie players).

I'd make zombies pistols/shotguns only and give them greater numbers than the humans. Hopefully that would make them more evenly matched against a smaller human team with AEGs.

Zombies are supposed to be able to take multiple hits, so I'd suggest making it so they don't have the normal hit taking rules. You could do this by having them wear several plastic cups or balloons that would break when shot, then when all of the targets on them had been shot out they have to go respawn.

So for example you have a zombie with three targets on their chest (or arms where ever) and they keep on moving until all targets have been hit, head shots should be instant kill (require full face masks for zombie players).

I'd make zombies pistols/shotguns only and give them greater numbers than the humans. Hopefully that would make them more evenly matched against a smaller human team with AEGs.

Well how SA worked around the number problem was this;

- Any hit "kills" a zombie

- The zombie on the ground can not get back up until humans are 20 feet away or after 60 seconds. This led to "unending" hordes as the survivors tried to accomplish their objectives.

And I really don't see why AEGs are absolutely necessary. You have to think of the people playing zombies as well; would you be able to take multiple hits at point blank range, over and over again? And zombies having guns would just make it a massive cluster *fruitcage*. How would you definitively know who hit you?

I am taking a guess based on the OP's site choice he isn't exactly meaning a zombie day but just a zombie game in the middle of a bunch of normal games, so the people coming would not be bringing the equipment needed.

How ever I would suggest to the OP ask John if you can do a zombie day rather than just a zombie game? That way you can plan it all out and take a mixture of suggestions as well as state that it is a single action games only so no aeg's.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding a small scenario idea I had:

Small country /region /whatever and a big company wanting to build something there.

They send their CEO with a bodyguard to take care of their business, but are caught in a zombie outbreak.

The two of them manage to hide somewhere and call for an extraction team.

That team will be composed of 5 or 6 players armed with pistols and SMALL AEGs (MP5Ks, MP7s, etc...)

They need to get from the "airport" to the "hotel" were their boss is hiding and back.

Oh, they also need to keep their pilot alive and the "plane" free of zombies, so they can get out of there...

Rules would be a lot like said elsewhere in this thread.

Limited ammo, zombies respawn on the spot after 30-60 seconds, etc...

Rules would be a lot like said elsewhere in this thread.

Limited ammo, zombies respawn on the spot after 30-60 seconds, etc...

Zombies attacking the plane are going to take both some real punishment and would probably eventually get to it by simply respawning enough.

I think as an edit to that one simply make it clear the zombies cant go blah near to the plane until the VIP is on the way back otherwise the zombies are just going to all be hiding in the plane by the time they get there.

Sorry my initial reply may of sounded a bit dickish,

well here goes MY ZED based game:

1º buying list:

as many alarm clocks as players, huge among of spring lower price guns (prefer handguns, but spring rifles and even LPEG if money lets you), black plastic bags, some paper to print, medical packs (carboard box with red + and some tisue inside, maybe xisinges,maybe quirofan? respirator mask (theo ones made of paper) plastic gloves (free in your vegetables section) some screws, some anmo, party makeup,and cards, ligts if night game.

2º preparation:

You must fix a starting time FIX, really, seriously, and a time for the game, 80%/90% of the clocks will get the alarm set in that interval (for example starting at 8:00pm to 10:00 pm you set the clocks to alarm at 8:10, 8:20 and so). You insert the clock in a black plastic bag so you can not see the time that the alarm has been set. You insert a paper with the "ok, you just died and become a zed, this is what you can and can not do" instructions sheet. Maybe you are rich enought to insert party makeup in the bag.

Every player picks his own black plastic bag, they just decided thir fate, pure madness/terror/insanity/paranoic?.

Explain the "in game" items, such as respirators, medi kits, revives (xiringes), guns and anmo, larp guns if desired... will be marked with really obvious cards (I have bright green ones with plastic zips) not to be removed, so a player can see the items far away and us/reuse/colect/pick...

Dead payers must leave IN HAND items on floor, items in pokets, gear.. keep in their places.

NO HEADSHOTS, each and every player can become a zed, this is for all safety.

GEAR PERMITED: just as many weird things as you would come to a "father in law meet" dinner, so no anmo, no guns, no tools, no lights, maybe: credit card, ties, fancy dress, AND HEADGEAR/EYEWEAR as desired, this is to give the game a "apocaliptic in pants" credibility but safe for airsoft.

A bunch of masters must spread the "in game" items all along the gamefield, maybe you prefer open places, maybe in a building, maybe up a tree, you can be as sadistic as desired.

Players are techaed these instructions and sent with a master/referre to starting points, you can let them start (use walkies) at the same time andlet the fun begin.

NO INFO GIVEN TO PLAYERS:

1º you check the guns anmo capability and trow a dice, for example handgund are 8 bullets ? you trow 1D8 and insert that bbs, you do not prepare the gun, must be cocked, and you FIX THE MAG with a screw (that is the reason to buy garbage guns) once the gun stops firing , face it, you ar enot a gunsmith, maybe it broke the firing pin, got f**ed..

2º killing a zed: there can be diferent tipes of zeds, how many zeds have you killed in your life? same as me, so you can be the biggest fan of g romero but know none about real zeds. You can mix and mach diferent tipes of zeds, that is the reason for "zed instructions sheet" on each bag, they can be different to let alive players try and error discover it, so that can run or not, use gear or not, talk or not, think or not, you have lots of zeds tipes in films books...

3º starting zeds: you can put hidden players that start from the first minute as zeds if desired.

4º FOOD: in a long therm game you can even send a military van to leave food and water, maybe setting a safe point or just spreading the food bags random (let zeds come,it is a noisy thing and they are hungry too)

5º infection: do you know how to avoid becoming infected? nor do I maybe gloves and respirator are just fancy (or not)

6º INSTRUCTIONS SHEETS: you can also spread instructions telling IN GAME this info, will look like garbage with a card but lets you insert more objetives than just survival, such as instructions to make revives (this becomes a recolecting part of the game); set a safe laboratory (static defense), may attract much more zeds; evacuation points (still safe or not, let your imagination fly); tipes of zeds and their killing, give player a clue, but not the exact way to kill them;

7º REVIVES: players revived must be first taken down zeds, use a xiringe (yes this is from urbandead) and pass some time, they revive with the gear wearing (including blood shades...) and will stant just 1 melee atack form zeds or hit form either inteligent zeds or other players (YES PK allowed, of course).

8º medical kits must be used inmediatelly after the wound, no restriction about maximun number in a player, but must be applied by other player (no self healing) so at least you need a fellow to put your life in his hands/be betrayed.

I think that with a 20€ fee you can buy all this stuff and is a good idea to contact you site owner to offer this kind of game for the next "kill all the zeds" videogame company that you know, you can even get money preparing this game in conjunction with a presentation, just as they do "red carpet" events, but for gamers/fans...

zombies...

last man standing/timed/wave defense/evade and escape/snatch and grab/rescue/any other objectives you can think of, in any combination

at start undead outnumber humans at least 2:1

head shots only, obviously

zombies cannot use weapons, wound on contact, 5 sec two hand contact/10 second one hand contact to infect

infection takes 20 sseconds, when a human is infected they respawn as zombies after 20 seconds stationary. (optional: humans may 'cure' infected during this time)

wounded (but not infected) players can be dragged/carried/put out of their misery/crawl around only using side arm/left to die

zombies are attracted to light and noise

preferably night(outdoors) or no lighting(indoors)

no restrictions on gear weapons, if you want to weigh yourself down with an m249, shotgun, ump and two glocks, go ahead, but don't expect and sympathy when you get left behind cos you cant keep up.

restrictions on speed optional (i.e. zombies can only walk etc.)

Archived