Gearbox locking up

Stuey

Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can give some advice.

At our last skirmish, my friend's SRC M4A1 gearbox locked up. What happened is the piston gets stuck right at the back of the gearbox, the anti-reversal latch stops it from rolling back but for some reason the sector gear hasn't released the piston and it can't go any farther back, so it gets stuck. We managed to release the ARL and the gun fired a few more times then the same thing happened again.

What needs to be modded in the gearbox to stop this happening?

Take a tooth or two off the piston so it's released earlier?

Could do with a bit more 'history' of the AEG in question.

Had anything been done to it internally before this problem started?

If not, then it may just be the trigger contacts on their way out.

If it doesn't have a MOSFET fitted, and it's seen a lot of use, the contacts are more than likely starting to get a bit pitted and/or burnt, which restricts the current flow to the motor.

If it's also on the original (pathetically inadequate) tamiya connectors, that won't help things.

It could also be a 'tired' motor.

When it is/was firing, was it spinning over nicely?

Have you tried a different battery? just to make sure that its not getting stuck as a result of a battery with low charge..

Yeah we tried an almost full battery from another gun. Same problem.

Could do with a bit more 'history' of the AEG in question.

Had anything been done to it internally before this problem started?

If not, then it may just be the trigger contacts on their way out.

If it doesn't have a MOSFET fitted, and it's seen a lot of use, the contacts are more than likely starting to get a bit pitted and/or burnt, which restricts the current flow to the motor.

If it's also on the original (pathetically inadequate) tamiya connectors, that won't help things.

It could also be a 'tired' motor.

When it is/was firing, was it spinning over nicely?

It's a completely stock SRC M4, almost brand new. This was it's first skirmish - not impressed!

So no MOSFET, but the conctacts are fine.

No idea about the motor, but the gun is new.

When it was working it seemed fine, just the same as any other AEG. RoF not brilliant, but it's a low-quality battery.

I will, however, try it out on a fully charged large 8.4V and see what happens.

It's this one. So a cheap one.

Anyone have any ideas? I want to see if I can fix this now, as I have the gearbox open and would like to use the gun this weekend

Also, surely this shouldn't happen, even with a flat/rubbish battery? Surely the gun should just fail to cycle or cycle very slowly?

*suitcase*, never even thought of that! Does that show something about the level of support I expect with airsoft guns...?

Sadly, that may not be an option as I had to cut flats into a few of the screws to remove them. I guess I can try anyway, not sure how long ago it was purchased though.

I think it's probably too late to try getting it sorted under warranty, and I doubt it's actually the AEG itself that's faulty, more likely it's the (cheap quality) battery pack.

New packs take a few full charges/discharges to reach their full capacity remember.

Also, surely this shouldn't happen, even with a flat/rubbish battery? Surely the gun should just fail to cycle or cycle very slowly?

Failing to cycle is exactly what you described in your original post wink.gif

It will often happen with a flat/dodgy battery.

Bear in mind that with Ni-mH packs, the performance drops off very quickly, so one minute it's spinning over nicely, then the next it'll struggle to cycle.

There's not a lot of 'slow-down' with them to give you warning that they're nearing their fully discharged level.

Failing to cycle is exactly what you described in your original post wink.gif

Yeah, but when it locks up, if you then put a fresh battery on it, it's still locked solid. That's what I was saying shouldn't happen...I'm probably wrong though.

Without an ICS-style forward assist, it's a real pain to disassemble the gun to unlock it.

It will often happen with a flat/dodgy battery.

Bear in mind that with Ni-mH packs, the performance drops off very quickly, so one minute it's spinning over nicely, then the next it'll struggle to cycle.

There's not a lot of 'slow-down' with them to give you warning that they're nearing their fully discharged level.

Yeah I had realised that, I'll get it back together and give it a go. I may just have to tell the owner to buy a better battery.

Thinking about it, he did have to charge the pack partway through the day...

Archived