M249 internals won't hold up

epyon314

I bought the A&K M249 about 2 years ago and I have had nothing but problems with it, and I could really use some help with getting it fully running. First off the box mag sound activated mode had never worked for some reason, and I still can't figure it out why. Second it has a range of about 20ft and I have tried sealing the hop up unit, and I have even replaced it all together with the newest echo 1 version. Third it eats the internals like crazy when it does shoot. The gun has eaten 3 gear sets (stock, element, systema), 5 pistions (3 G&P, 2 element), 2 spring guides (systema, element), and 12 pistion heads ( I don't remember the exact #'s but I have ran through element, G&P, prome and, systema)

What battery voltage and spring power (in FPS) are you using?

The box mags are toss. The microphone that detects the noise and autowinds has a tendancy to fall off without warning. You're best getting a CA or MAG box with a remote pressure switch.

Maybe a place to start would be with someone who has a working 249. Set them side by side and compare to see if yours has some obvious issue like the outer barrel pushed forward so the chamber doesn't seal well. and so on.

For the box mag I'd 2nd about just getting a CA one. I use the nutsack and it's more than enough.

I am using a 9.6V 5800mah with the stock spring that is rated at right about 400fps, and I planned on getting the ca box mag. As for comparing the gun to another one, well I am the only one that I know owns one in the area that I play in

Sgt. Chrocodile I was planning on asking that in here any way so ist no big deal, all ideas that might help me are welcome, wether it be ideas for replacement parts or tech help

Check around your local airsoft forums for someone who repairs guns and is familiar with the 249. No power, and eating internal parts like peanuts speaks of multiple problems and someone will have to go hands on to sort this.

There is no point saying buy a brand X piston and all your troubles will be over when you've already tried repeated fixes with no luck.

The reason it eats internals is because they don't line up properly. If the gearbox is properly shimmed, there is either a problem with the bushings, or with the gearbox itself.

I had a a&k m249 rev1. I never got i to run properly, it didn't eat internals, but performance was lower than it should be, tolerances included.

I strongly suspect that the gearbox was cast very badly. Gears looked crooked in it, with brand new guarder gears.

• 1 month later...

Epyon. If you have gone thru that many internals then you have one or more of the following problems.

1. The gearbox SHELL is bad.

2. The bushings are bad.

3. The shim job is bad.

4. The spring is to strong.

5. The work you do or the person who did the work sucks. (no offense intended as we all learn somehow)

My suggestion to you is to get a new gearbox shell with all entire matching internal set. When you get the cylinder, piston, and nozzle do a compression test by inserting the piston with piston head into the cylinder with the nozzle installed on the end. Put you finger over the nozzle port and gently push the piston into the cylinder. If you have resistance pushing it in then you have good compression. If not then you have a mis matched set. Bad commpression is a common cause of bad range.

Second look at your shell. Go over it very carefully and check the bushing holes making sure there are no bends or burs, basically anything that would cause the gears to sit improperly.

Third. when you install the gears make sure that you shim them properly. Meaning the gears should spin freely and the shell should fit together without to much force. If not then add or remove them until you get the right combination.

Fourth. Grease the internals with a thin coat of grease and dont gob it on the gears and piston. Excess could bog the gears and cause other problems.

If do all this properly then it should work properly as far as the GB goes.

If you still have problems with range then it might be the barrel itself.

Lastly I never used the sound activation on any of my support weapons as it is laggy. I also hate pressure switches. If you would like i can show you how to wire your box mag to auto wind when you pull the trigger.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Archived