LiPo Charger Lead Question

aaron2310

Hey guys, I've just brought a LiPo battery and charger. The charger I brought was this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370442847721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It only came with the dragon-clips so I can't charge the battery but in all honesty, I do not know what lead to get. I understand that the 2nd wire on the battery is for charging but I can't seem to find a LiPo charging lead. Can anyone provide me with a link to one?

Sorry if this is such a daft question.

Simples , Remove the crock clips and solder on the correct opposite connection of your battery :)

Just remember you will need one of these "Battery Testers Checkers / Alarms."

Can be found on http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

Go to chargers > Lipo > Then scroll to the bottom You will need one of the 3 to make sure your lipo battery isnt going to create a black hole on your table :P

It doesn't give too much information away on that site does it dry.gif

If it is a true Li-Po balance charger, then it charges the pack through the balance plug (the little white one), not through the power plug.

It says that it "...automatically detects and controls the voltage of each cell independently." That can only be achieved through the balance plug.

It should have a socket for the balance plug, there should be several, one for each number of cells that it can charge, e.g. three sockets, for 2-cell, 3-cell & 4-cell packs.

Edit; The battery checkers will only tell you what voltage each cell has in it, so you can avoid over-discharging them (take them much below 3v in any cell and the pack is (usually) scrap).

They won't protect them from any other damage.

The charger won't over-charge them no matter how long you leave them.

Its a Vapex charger and is advertised on their UK website, but as Doc says, precious little info. The picturte(s) don't show a balance socket, but from the brief description it should have one.

It would be handy to get an extension lead to connect the balance lead on the battery to the charger, otherwise its a bit of a pain.

Its a Vapex charger and is advertised on their UK website, but as Doc says, precious little info. The picturte(s) don't show a balance socket, but from the brief description it should have one.

It would be handy to get an extension lead to connect the balance lead on the battery to the charger, otherwise its a bit of a pain.

A minor irritation at worst

I take it you found the balance plug socket(s) on it then tongue.gif .

I expect most people scratch their heads a bit when they get their first Li-Po and charger/balancer.

Better to ask the questions, no matter how daft they may seem, than wreck something.

All the old scare stories floating around don't help rolleyes.gif

Archived