WA System Hop Units

TheFull9

So, working on some of my G&P WOC upper receivers yesterday and managed to lose the minuscule little spring that pushes against the hop arm on the inside of the unit. As I'm sure a lot of you have found when you lose small parts, it tends to be when you've got something under tension and when said tension/grip suddenly slips the piece in question goes flying, never to be found again.

So if anyone has any clue about a common household item that might contain a suitably thin spring (length can obviously be changed with a quick snip) or a cheap way of sourcing an appropriate spring without buying a whole new hop unit for the sake of a tiny part, it'd be very helpful.

So, working on some of my G&P WOC upper receivers yesterday and managed to lose the minuscule little spring that pushes against the hop arm on the inside of the unit. As I'm sure a lot of you have found when you lose small parts, it tends to be when you've got something under tension and when said tension/grip suddenly slips the piece in question goes flying, never to be found again.

So if anyone has any clue about a common household item that might contain a suitably thin spring (length can obviously be changed with a quick snip) or a cheap way of sourcing an appropriate spring without buying a whole new hop unit for the sake of a tiny part, it'd be very helpful.

I've not had to try one myself but a cigarette lighter flint spring might work

I've not had to try one myself but a cigarette lighter flint spring might work

+1 with above. All my WA hop-ups have been using those. Since you can cut them down to your desired lenght, it's also more convenient than the stock spring which is, IMO, too weak.

Get a 'clipper' lighter, dead easy to disassemble.

Pinch the round (or sometimes octagonal) roller, then pull it out. It'll be attached to a long black plasic 'stick' with a threaded cap on the bottom. Carefully unscrew the cap to get to the spring, then cut the spring to the right length. Job done! :)

All sorted, nipped down the newsagent and grabbed a couple, found the spring under the flint (easily accessed by popping out the roller you flick with your thumb) and installed, hop unit working. It took a little bit of widening to the hole in the hop arm itself but 2 minutes with a drill bit that was just slightly wider and it's done; not quite as neat and tidy as the original but with a bit of fiddling it does the job just fine. Thanks guys.

Archived