Cutting springs

scorch

Just a quick one for anyone who knows about metals.

I need to take a little bit off an AEG spring, will using a dremel with a cutting disc bork up the spring?

I know that metals are affected by heating and cooling, but I don't know if it will affect it that much.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is nicely rounding off the freshly cut tip. Make it smooth and shiny, no sharp bits. Either that or bend it inwards.

I do this to stock G&P springs (M120's) which come from Asia as they always run hot out of the box. Never had any issues yet!

More than just rounding the edge, the last coil (the one you just cut from) has to be a "dead" coil, meaning it is naturally compressed like what the original ends look like. This helps to keep the spring seated straight on the spring guide and reduce sideways forces the spring might give which can wear out your piston. To do that, you can just bend it with a pair of pliers, but can be difficult with the stiffer springs. What I do is use a candle or lighter to heat the last half coil until it's red and then jam it perpendicularly against a block of wood until cool.

More than just rounding the edge, the last coil (the one you just cut from) has to be a "dead" coil, meaning it is naturally compressed like what the original ends look like. This helps to keep the spring seated straight on the spring guide and reduce sideways forces the spring might give which can wear out your piston. To do that, you can just bend it with a pair of pliers, but can be difficult with the stiffer springs. What I do is use a candle or lighter to heat the last half coil until it's red and then jam it perpendicularly against a block of wood until cool.

Its better to put the cut end forward into the piston, rather than on the spring guide. That means you don't have to be as good with reshaping the end, but it is still important to get it roughly flat at the end.

Archived