VFC AKS74U Hingge pin removal.

grimmah

Hi, i recieved my new VFC AKS74U today, this is my second one.

My first ive had for about 1,5 years, it has very little play in the hinge and i can live with that. But the new one i got, has alot more play. i looked it over, and the bottom part of it has enough play to make it grow to 2-3mm at the end of the stock. This is very annoying to me.

What i need help with, is if anyone knows how these are seated? Are they glued? Shrinked into place? How did you remove it?

What i want to do, is remove it, and make a new pin to lessen the play in the hinge. From what i can see, the middle part, the stock, is where the pin is stuck, and the upper and lower part of the hinge is where the pin allows rotation.

Has anyone done this, can you tell me what you did and how you did it?

Thanks and regards,

grimm

Just had a look at my own and it appears to be joined in the same manner but without the excess movement. The pin is firmly grasped within the stock section of the hinge and freely rotates within the receiver side of the hinge.

I would have thought a hammer and pin punch would get it out but I've never needed to do so. Perhaps the top and bottom of the pin on your AKS has become worn or malformed, causing the issues you mention? Shame, mine is rock solid, puts a lot of other airsoft blasters to shame.

Thanks for the replies. Im gonna fiddle around with it and see if i can get used to it before i try to carefully hammer it out.. I dont need it to be rock solid, my other one does have a slight wobble, but its from abit of wear and tear. That one was rocksolid when it got to me. The new one i purchased had this when it got there.. And its new, it shows no sight of wear anywhere else except slight surface wear from the selector level for when the shop tested it out before shipping.

I also noted that it has a different serial number than my first one.. My first one has this written after the Iszhmash(spelling?) logo: "84 3740313". and my newly arrived has this after the logo: "1977 951877". I thought only the VFC deluxe models had individual serials? These were both the "SOPMOD PDW" model with the rails. Notworthy is also that the first one's year is only the decade, whilst the second has the full year stamped..

Anyway. push come to shove, i could always claim the "older" model has had more use and thats where the wobble comes in hehe..

But anyway, if anyone has actually removed this pin on an actual VFC AKS74U, and not a clone, id apriciate more info. I have a dboys, and whilst a clone of the VFC, everything is not entirely identical, when it comes to measurements etc.. So i cant trust the pin of a Dboys to be the same as a VFC just yet.

I always just use brass shim stock or electrical tape on the back of the stock to fix the wobble that most of them have OOB, but I'm not sure if it would work seeing as it's the pin. Might be worth a shot before you go making a new pin though.

I always just use brass shim stock or electrical tape on the back of the stock to fix the wobble that most of them have OOB, but I'm not sure if it would work seeing as it's the pin. Might be worth a shot before you go making a new pin though.

I also use brass shim stock to fix any number of wobble on my various ak's. Usually the handguards need some to stay firmly in place while you grab on to the rifle.

Sadly, this wont work here, as we are talking hundreds of a millimeter.. There is no way to shim it. I may be extra sensitive to wobble, but to me it is very noticable, not as much as an underfolder, my Dboys Kalash AKMS has over 1cm wobble, but it shouldnt have this much as a sidefolder. Like i said, my other VFC AKS74U has almost none, and was rocksolid as new. I think particular rifle just had its pin made at the very edge of its lower tollerances, and thus doesnt sit as snug in the lower part of the hinge, as my other AKSU.. Ive had thoughts and talked to my uncle who is a mechanic, he had some ideas, but as he doesnt know what kind of steel these are made of, he doesnt know how lasting his proposed solutions would be.

One would be to make a whole new pin, but if so, he wants to make one that sets better, and thus we need to modify the reciever part. And there is no guarantee the wobble will be any better, it might even get worse.

Another idea is to use a center punch. If we use that, on the backside of the reciever's clamp part of the hinge, the area within will become smaller from the indentation, but whats to say, the pin itself wont wear that indentation down quickly, and the wobble returns. The cosmetic damage from the indentation doesnt bother me much, it is an AK after all. I might even wear it down more to make it look well used.

On my first Cyma '74 the stock wobbled a bit and it annoyed the hell out of me.

What I did was: found a washer that could fit around the stock pin.

Ground the lower part of the stock hinge (on the stock iteself) until the stock and the washer could fit in the gap snugly. Put the pin back in and it was rock solid - actually quite difficult to move the stock :)

On regards to having first hand experience of a VFC... you have the RIF in front of you.. Look at how the pin sits in the mechanism, you should be able to figure out how to remove it.

On my first Cyma '74 the stock wobbled a bit and it annoyed the hell out of me.

What I did was: found a washer that could fit around the stock pin.

Ground the lower part of the stock hinge (on the stock iteself) until the stock and the washer could fit in the gap snugly. Put the pin back in and it was rock solid - actually quite difficult to move the stock :)

On regards to having first hand experience of a VFC... you have the RIF in front of you.. Look at how the pin sits in the mechanism, you should be able to figure out how to remove it.

Was it seated in any other way than simply pushed in from above? Was it firmly punched into place once you put it back there? Sometimes pins are just pushd in, other times they are fixed in place as well. This could probably be the best way to fix the wobble..

As for the VFC experience, some have told me its cone shaped and should be tapped out from below, which i can see could be the case, however, i dont know if its fixed with loctite, glue or something else in the stock part of the hinge itself.

On my current cyma AK (I stupidly sold the old one..) the pin slides in from the top and has a narrower bottom section.

The washer I used was 8mm outer diameter, 4mm inner diameter, 1mm thick. Had to remove about 1/2 a mm from the stock to fit it in but it was worth it*.

*I make it sound difficult because the only file I had at the time was a glorified nail file

Archived