Tokyo Marui G18c vs G17 3rd Gen

AG1212

Which is more reliable/has fewer issues in both the long and short term?

I'd much prefer the G18c but I have heard that when using green gas cracks might start to form and also that due to the heavier hammer spring that creates another failure point, are any of these true for the G17 as well?

Basically I am asking which is better in the long run? (however I do plan on replacing the slide for an SD and frame for a guarder and to add a buffer to the spring guide (maybe even short stroke), if any of this is relevant...)

Thanks!

Simply put, the G17. For a start there's less to go wrong due to the lack of a F/A mechanism, and the TM G18C has had several reports of cracks appearing in the frame as a result of green gas useage. I've owned 2 G17's myself and their excellent sidearms - Solid, reliable, well made and the usual amazing TM pistol performance.

Simply put, the G17. For a start there's less to go wrong due to the lack of a F/A mechanism, and the TM G18C has had several reports of cracks appearing in the frame as a result of green gas useage. I've owned 2 G17's myself and their excellent sidearms - Solid, reliable, well made and the usual amazing TM pistol performance.

And did you use them with green gas? why would the 18c's frame crack but not the 17? (same frame, afaik?)

But yeah it seems to be the safer bet, plus I don't think carbine kits work with the 18c?

And did you use them with green gas? why would the 18c's frame crack but not the 17? (same frame, afaik?)

But yeah it seems to be the safer bet, plus I don't think carbine kits work with the 18c?

I used nothing but Green Gas in any pistol; It's a requirement before I buy one! I believe the 18C suffers cracks in the frame due to the repeateded and rapid impacts upon a screw taking some of the stress of the recoil; There's a lot more detail in the review thread in the GBB section, where it's explained better.

As for carbine kits, yes and no - It won't fit correctly in a standard HERA kit due to the selector, but this is reasonably easily solved with a dremel on the inside of the kit or sanding down the selector switch.

I second the Glock 17 mate, I have one in a hera kit (I know you do too Hwagan!) and its lovely, It has been run only on Propane for it's entire life (2-3 years?)

I have put a guarder Aluminium slide on it a little while back (not steel , too expensive and makes it very sluggish) It was a drop in fit , and if I need to swap back to the plastic slide (snow/-10 deg C etc)

I can in about a minute and a half , and that includes swapping over the blowback assy. between slides.

They are very very simple to work on.

Effective range on guarder 0.28's and propane is about 30m ,( 40m in the HERA kit.) so its a useful woodland primary weapon too.

I keep looking at the 18c , but to be honest I dont think I would ever use the auto mode.

Jim

Archived