school me in red dots.

kevshin21

So I was playing last week and my eotech from ebairsoft was shot. The front lens is cracked in multiple places rendering it useless. Now this holo sight is ran me about $60 something and I don't want this to happen again.(lexan covers distorts the field of vision) So I was wondering what is the most practical solution for my problem? Does anyone know a place to replace the front lense? Or should I just junk the sight and get some cheaper nc star red dot tube scope with a clear lens cover? I really enjoy some of those open reflex sights but the electronics failed me in a short amount of time. Basically I am asking if I cannot replace the lens of this eotech what is the cheapest, most effective no frills red dot.

A good cover won't distort your vision.

EOTech-Shield.jpg

For an alternate to the EOTech style optics I like the Aimpoint T-1 Microdot copies. Small, short and a nice dot.

I'm thinking though of trying one of the Docter sights but I"m not sure how to keep it safe yet.

You can make your own (lens protector). Just make sure the polycarb sheet you're using is rated for the abuse you need it to take. The ones I make pictured below is cut out from replacement visors with ANSI Z87.1+ rating bought from the hardware.

IMG_2049.jpg

Regarding your busted lens, there's no alternative except to gut the lens out from a unit with something else that's broken like electronics. Most red dots nowadays have parallax correction: a curvature on the lens so that the dot will adjust to whenever your head moves around the aiming plane. Not all lenses have the same curvature correction as the distance of the lens to the diode is different. If you put it a lens with different setting for parallax correction, your sight will be very inaccurate to say the least.

I'm thinking though of trying one of the Docter sights but I"m not sure how to keep it safe yet.

You can make one similar to the EOTech, but the flaps will go outside and the adhesive tape on the inside. You might want to protect the rear as well as from experience, reflex sights like those have a very high tendency of being shot out from the back being very open. I remember a time when some newbie right behind me sent a 1 second burst straight into the rear of my optic, him not understanding that point of aim and point of impact don't always coincide at varying ranges. Good thing at that time I had a protector at the back as well.

if you're desperate for a lens protector for red dot (or even compact cameras) get spare shooting glasses lens that you or your friends may have laying around... tape that over the front and you're good to go again.

i've used this on numerous occasions for a point and shoot camera, never failed me.

as for micro T1 red dots, i love mine, actually had 3 of them, now 2 (1 sold with a M4 i modified) if you really want to protect the front lens, put the lens cover back on it. it doesnt stop you from seeing the dot. you should aim with both eyes open anyway so the dot is still at the same place as long as you've zero'd it properly.

I see the prices went up, unfortunately, but I went through about 5 cheap ACM red dots of all descriptions, handily breaking all of them, before I got smart and got a Primary Arms Micro-Dot. It's almost but not quite a Aimpoint T1 replica, but it's rated for real steel and hasn't broken or disappointed me in any way over the past year. Get it with the killflash and you don't have to worry about losing a lens. Or, the front lens anyway.

as for micro T1 red dots, i love mine, actually had 3 of them, now 2 (1 sold with a M4 i modified) if you really want to protect the front lens, put the lens cover back on it. it doesnt stop you from seeing the dot. you should aim with both eyes open anyway so the dot is still at the same place as long as you've zero'd it properly.

This.

Even if your lens protector "distorts the feild of vision" (which it shouldn't), your other eye will see past it and your brain will fill in the details.

after airsofting for a while you should really have replaced quite a few pairs of shooting glasses and if you dont, your friends will have. file out a spare clear lens to glue on to the front of a red dot. you pretty much have given that a shield by doing that. even though it looks a little extra shiny, it's not going to smash up in a few shots.

So for those who vouch for aimpoint microdots, what makes them special? I thought the bigger the lense the easier use? That is why I preferred my eotech replica over my old aimpoint.

I'm vouching for mine solely on the basis that it isn't broken, unlike every other airsoft optic I've ever used. I'm sure a real EOtech would work nicely as well, and someday I'll probably have one... but meanwhile for 1/4 the price the PA micro is a good reliable optic that does a fine job. Some people say there's no need for optics in airsoft and they're just for show, but in my opinion at medium ranges they help a LOT with first-shot accuracy.

Archived