Firing an unloaded springer

GigaScythe

I don't believe there would be significantly more wear in a springer whether it is dry-fired or not, though one of our techie types will correct me if i'm wrong.

Obviously it's a mechanical device and would wear out eventually loaded or otherwise.

It's dificult to say how long it would last without knowing what springer it is, a 99p toy shop job is obviously less durable than one from a respectable manufacturer. If we know what you have then maybe someone has first hand experience?

And welcome to the forum :D

I wouldn't do it with a decent springer like a VSR or an APS etc. Also you shouldn't do it with a cyma or other cheapo gun.

But with a fairly decent gun it should be okay for a long time. I had a kwc p228/p2226 (can't remember.) I must have dry fired it everytime i was bored for several months and it still shot okay. I also reused my bbs (some which were muddy) and poured talcum powder down the barrel to get a smoke effect.

It still worked and im sure the guy who has i now still uses it ok. What im saying is that a fairly decent non hop up springer is usually very reliable and fairly hard to abuse.

I've got some nameless M92 springer, It's a really cr@p replica, but it shoots about 180fps and is quite accurate for a non-hopped gun. I've put about 15,000 rounds through it, plus I dry fire it loads, use it practically every day to shoot at stuff on my bookshelf while I'm watching TV.

Never a problem yet.

there is an outside chance, very remote but it does happen, when you fire with a pellet the sound is different to when you fire without a bb yes? this is because the pellet creates back pressure in the piston cylinder, which has the effect of slowing the pistons forward movement slightly which actually increases the pressure and make pellet go faster. if you fire with out pellet there is an outside chance that you can burst the end of the cylinder, very rare but it can happen, happened to me a long time ago with a sig 226 springer, was dead upset

Archived