Is it worth tinkering with TM's?

sunburnthammer

Hi there, after installing a prommy TB into my G&P M4 and basking in the upgraded glory, it got me thinking about my other guns.

My Kimber has a REAPS system on route which leaves my AK (internally) untouched.

Apart from using a guarder hop its stock, stock FPS, inner barrel etc.

I am aware that TM's perform very well out of the box (which mine does) with range etc despite only firing at around 270fps.

Do I add a TB and mess with the magic?

Has anybody fitted a TB to a TM and if so was it worth it? and did you have to replace/mod any other parts also?

TM keeps their barrels 6.08mm for a good reason.

Barrel quality is most important; tightbore barrels sometimes even reduce accuracy(still increase fps, though) because the quality is not up to par.

TM is best kept stock; barrel/hop-up assembly is fine for a drop-in if you cannot mess with accuracy-related stuff(just install a R-hop to beat TM with regular stock barrel, it is a little trial and error on the fitting part and takes patience).

So, if you are going to upgrade; you better go all the way(prometheus tightbore barrel + R-hop). Prometheus parts, as far as I am aware, are all actually made to as close to TM spec as possible... so the barrel should also be a drop-in fit.

The only issues I have ever had with tm parts are the gears, had one or two teeth fail on sub350 fps setups, but I have found that a good replacement are the Jing gong set. They had them on ehooby not too long ago, and for the price the quality has been good, been running them for going on two years now.

As to TM in general, treat them the same as any other gun, by that I mean until it breaks leave it be. If something should go it should hopefully only be from wear and tear.

Archived