Nontilting outer barrel

Sallinen

I have heard of these nontilting outer barrels and I see Prog4 has them actually available, only for 1911 series though.

What came to my mind was that could I modify a normal tilting outer barrel to a nontilting one by making it stationary with the hop up unit and filing the extra material off from the slide?

This one's built for a Hi-Capa, but you could put it on a 1911 if you remove the barrel bushing. Also it comes with a threaded adapter (also comes in black):

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/t-s-c-cnc-outer-barrel-with-adaptor-for-marui-hi-capa-5-1-silver.html

But yes, you could modify an existing tilting barrel. Easier to modify the barrel itself instead of the slide which will be harder to access.

I have used the prog4 hi-capa barrel and I find it expensive but wonderful. On the other hand I have tried to make my own non tilt barrel by grinding of the lugs on a hi-capa slide and fixing the barrel to the hop unit. If you really feel the need for one I would strongly advice to buy one rather than make it yourself Its rather fiddly and if your barrel to slide fitment is already good, it could do more damage than good.

Archived