Range Testing without the Skirmish

FTZ-WildeCard

Just had a thought while replying on another thread.

While some may have the benefit of a long, fairly concealed garden with neighbours who are not gun fearing crazies. Or perhaps a stretch of land at the back of their property with no chance of harming anyone if some BBs are let loose. Not all of us have this, especially in major cities.

At home, the longest corridor is about 10m, which is fine for some target shooting and plinking, but if I need to set hop-up, range test or zero my scope for a practical distance -- I can't do it.

You might say "do this during a skrim", you're absolutely right -- but I like to be able to take my time with these things, and do them under controlled conditions. Helps me get to know the RIF I am using. While I'm not adverse to doing tweaks in the field, I'd just like to be able to do so without constraint.

This led me to look on Google for facilities that may help cover my requirements. I found The Range. This is situated fairly centrally in London. Disappointingly the range itself is only 8.5m long! I looked quickly at prices, but as soon as I saw the annual membership was £120 I closed the browser window.

The question is... now what? Do actual rifle ranges frown up airsofters? Are there any other airsoft friendly ranges to try or am I stuck to a quick 15 minutes before each skirmish to do my tuning.

Any suggestions for players in or around the London area?

Try the following:

If you have a car, or seeing as it is London a bus service, go for a drive out into the country and find a nice local farmer and ask if you can use his barn / field for what you want to do, explaining everything to him and obviously asking if he wants some cash compensation (a £5 usually does it). Just make sure it is on his private land for the full length of the shot and that it is out of the way of the public (a barn is better for this).

If not then ask the local gun clubs if you can turn up and just test fire a few shots on their range for hop etc, if they say yes then win, if they don't and you can't do the above then you might just have to stick with using the local site before a game.

'FireKnife'

Both good suggestions, the London sites are a bit small or too CQB to test longer rangers, but slightly further afield I may be able to find a friendly site..

And local farmers, interesting. Not considered that! Not even sure where I'd begin to find a farm around here.

if they don't and you can't do the above then you might just have to stick with using the local site before a game.

'FireKnife'

It may very well come down to that haha :)

Well if you can drive just go out of the city, as quick as you can and just do a circuit of the far outskirts and see what you find. Might cost all of £10 in petrol and 'bribes' :P

Just be careful or you might get the old farmer like the one off Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere :P

'FireKnife'

I feel your pain, i can do 10m indoors, and 20m outdoors.

But i can't do outdoors due to being in the middle of town, with lots of overlooking neighbours. Not worth the potential hassle so only test things indoors.

If i had a nice long garden with big hedges i would have a boltie.

The Range is aimed more at IPSC short range shooting. There must be a handfull of air rifle or small bore/rimfire clubs around the london area, i expect some would be 25m there must be some that go to 50+m. (i would assume there are quite a few 25m ranges hiding, for Police, TA use, no chance there)

Tap up the club secretary's, they might have you in to check out how good/bad airsoft guns are.

Field Target air rifle clubs might be handy to look into, nip down WHSmiths and have a flick through Air-gunner and Airgun world, they might have club listings.

If you get lucky, maybe not turn up in camo gear, and expect a much more rigid approach to weapon handling and safety skills&drills when on range, something that is really lacking in the airsoft world. Would be funny to have a Range officer watch an airsoft safe zone, mags in, weapons not cleared, no safety catches being used, and dry firing and ND's.

Apart from that, go for a day trip to the nearest large game zone, pay the green fee, chat to the organiser and ok it, then get hi-vised up find a quiet spot and tune in the hops, play with springs and chrono.

It's what i do at mine, take a target and spend the morning tweeking, then shoot people after lunch, sometimes we can get on site 2 hours before game play so can have a quiet hour of tweeking before other players arrive, and access to site chrono's

It's a pain, but it's not just you city types that have range issues.......if that makes you feel any better :)

Sighs.....

Chaps,

So you have never seen players wander into the safe zone with a mag in then ? (and correct them)

So you have never seen/heard players testing/dry firing in a safe zone then ? (to be told off)

Not always newbies/rentals (mostly)

How many players really check that the hop unit is clear, how many really apply safety catches after clearing.

The point i was maybe badly making was that "air rifle" and "rim fire" target clubs will be very different to the average "airsoft site, and players" take on safety.

As most airsofters have no firearms experince, and you can't have a marshall for every player. So i always wear glasses the moment i get out of my car, because i have to assume most players have worked out which end of the rifle is dangerous, but it's only airsoft and toys, and health and safety is for puffs.

Not after a drawn out debate on safety etc etc, a causal error in safety will see the OP and friends kicked off range, the mindset on HSE will be much more severe.

I reckon National Service would sort out the COD generation :)

I am going to guess that a player who would go as far to dedicate a day to attend a range so they can setup will be on the ball and able to cope with the safety rules.

Not a hard and fast rule, just an educated guess.

I was just typing out my reply when I realised you'd already explained my perspective perfectly. Thank you! :)

No, not yet - I'm skrimming again this week, so I'll write to the Marshall to ask for their suggetions. At least time it'll probably just boil down to turning up a bit early, which will do for now.

As far as this thread, I was irrationally afraid for a little while, it'd turn into a game of Mornington Crescent.

I'd say come to mine again if you were desperate, it is a bit out of the way for you though.

I may do at some point, thanks for the offer -- it's just your place is as dangerous as an actual airsoft shop! Can turn up and lose half my wallet just like that! :)

Yeah, it is ironic when you think about it FK. I did discuss it with my team; essentially just finding some space, or a warehouse or something and renting it out for private esque games and zeroing etc. Not really looked into the legalities of it - but assuming we discussed it with the landowners and accepted liability for our own safety while we were there (hence the "private games" aspect) it should be OK, shouldn't it?

Naturally this would also entail not showing our RIFs offs entering and leaving the area...

Don't suppose anyone has attempted anything like this already?

I may do at some point, thanks for the offer -- it's just your place is as dangerous as an actual airsoft shop! Can turn up and lose half my wallet just like that! :)

I think you're safe, you bought most of the stuff I was selling! :P

Know anybody who wants an M60? :D

Yeah, it is ironic when you think about it FK. I did discuss it with my team; essentially just finding some space, or a warehouse or something and renting it out for private esque games and zeroing etc. Not really looked into the legalities of it - but assuming we discussed it with the landowners and accepted liability for our own safety while we were there (hence the "private games" aspect) it should be OK, shouldn't it?

Don't suppose anyone has attempted anything like this already?

Truly ironic.

I have done this, and the legalities as I see it are:

So long as you are on private land and the shot from the gun doesn't leave private land (yes from the muzzle to the final resting place, the whole length) that is fine, however to reduce the risk of issues make sure that all areas are clear, search and assess before and after every shot. If you see someone approach guns on the floor, if you have time mags out but best to just safe and floor. In the case of the land owner either take him with you with some eye pro or givie him a contact number and some eye pro should he wish to come visit you to either move you along or inform you of anything else they may need to. Mostly it is common sense and finally take the most even route, but also one that is as far away from public areas as you can get with guns in locked cases, only taking them out to fire and nothing else. Treat it as you would a firing range at a safe zone, all of you have eye pro on, inform people that you are shooting and always, always make sure a gun is clear after shooting and properly chambered beforehand.

'FireKnife'

Truly ironic.

I have done this, and the legalities as I see it are:

So long as you are on private land and the shot from the gun doesn't leave private land (yes from the muzzle to the final resting place, the whole length) that is fine, however to reduce the risk of issues make sure that all areas are clear, search and assess before and after every shot. If you see someone approach guns on the floor, if you have time mags out but best to just safe and floor. In the case of the land owner either take him with you with some eye pro or givie him a contact number and some eye pro should he wish to come visit you to either move you along or inform you of anything else they may need to. Mostly it is common sense and finally take the most even route, but also one that is as far away from public areas as you can get with guns in locked cases, only taking them out to fire and nothing else. Treat it as you would a firing range at a safe zone, all of you have eye pro on, inform people that you are shooting and always, always make sure a gun is clear after shooting and properly chambered beforehand.

'FireKnife'

That is reassuring.. Now to find a friendly land owner around here!

Archived