Kryptek Raid

biscuitninja

Really love the Kryptek raid and typhon patterns here:

http://www.kryptek.com/kryptek-camo-patterns/

Only problem is I can't find anywhere to actually buy any! Does anyone know where I can get hold of some from? I've found the Mandrake/Highlander/Nomad for preorder - are all these patterns still in production? Also some people seem to say the raid pattern is for law enforcement only? Info seems a little sparse, wondering if anyone here could shed some light

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/catalog/product/view/id/15191/s/m-mountain-guide-jacket/category/1491/?productId=p_20182&startingPointId=20284#

You can get some typhon there, but I'd brace and think of England before checking the price.

I think at the moment they're a bit tied up with getting the more conventional patterns out and doing all their government business at the moment.  Although I've seen photos of some Mayflower kit in Typhon, so you never know, it might just be around the corner.

As I've said on five different forums over the past few weeks, the US Army pattern solicitation the pattern was developed for is going to come out very soon. I would wait till it does, I'm sure the price of the kryptek pattern will drop if it is not selected.

Aye, I saw the Valhalla pants + top in the store section, tempting considering it'd be $200 + shipping/customs, but really want a new urban camo set, hence the raid/typhon want. Just something a bit different really, guess that'll change if they win the US contract mind, every man and his dog will be wearing the stuff :(

Been looking for a weeks now, not much stock about sadly.  If anyone had a Valhalla (or even Alaios) shirt in a small I'd be all over it, but alas not.

From what I've read the Valhalla trousers are a bit of an unusual fabric so I'm looking at the Alaios instead.  Cabelas have some in the right size for a good price... think I'm gonna have to go for it.

Some of the foul weather jackets also look really attractive for the prices (certainly compared to WT), but then I don't wear anything more than a combat shirt to skirmish.  Plus if you wear anything in a pattern around on camp you get 'wtf is this guy doing' looks.  Even solid colour softshells are bad enough around here, so much as I'd love to own one, it'd end up just being a cupboard queen.

Well they're 100% polyester, not your conventional ny/co or poly/cotton fabric that one would expect with a camo garment.  Apparently more designed to be packable and much lighter than the average.  That to me conjures up images of rustly, plastic type materials like you'd expect from a super basic civvie rain mac.  The Alaios are also polyester, but they're a twill and about 50g more per square meter.

I mean I've not seen any video of someone wearing/demo'ing the Valhallas so I don't know precisely what the material is like, but the reviews on Cabelas suggest they're not as durable overall.  It's not like I can just take a quick hop on a ferry to buy a new pair, so I need as much resistance to abrasion and brambles/branches etc tearing at them as I can get.

Those vertx versions seem like the best option if you're buying at the moment, theyre a pretty tried and tested manufacturer, though its still a Pre-order. $120 for the pants isnt *too* bad, plus shipping/import of course.

Plus they come in typhon. Can only find the pants though?

More I look at it the more I like the highlander colour scheme too, could work well in the UK

Yep. That's part of the charm of the pattern, I wear multicam at the minute and definitely blend in with every other MC'd up player, if not the actual environment :)

This would be a nice reasonably unique pattern.

Only problem is teaming up plate carrier etc - typhon is easy, just go black, but the highlander - OD going to work?

Well they're 100% polyester, not your conventional ny/co or poly/cotton fabric that one would expect with a camo garment.

No but to be honest I feel thats more an issue with the gear industry rather than the material. Companies like GoLite and Arc'Teryx have made ultralight hiking garments out of 100% poly for years, and to be honest these garments take more abuse than most combat deployments (a short through hike can be 6 months on rough terrain and people often pack one pair of pants for the whole trip). I have a pair of Arc'Teryx Rampart pants that have taken much more abuse than some of my twill garments.

No but to be honest I feel thats more an issue with the gear industry rather than the material. Companies like GoLite and Arc'Teryx have made ultralight hiking garments out of 100% poly for years, and to be honest these garments take more abuse than most combat deployments (a short through hike can be 6 months on rough terrain and people often pack one pair of pants for the whole trip). I have a pair of Arc'Teryx Rampart pants that have taken much more abuse than some of my twill garments.

I can't say I've ever looked in to it, I was just going off the reviews at the retail site to be honest.  Possibly Kryptek haven't used quite the same stuff as Arx'teryx?  Hard to say.

I prefer the cut of the Alaios, the pockets and the knee pad pouches, so to me personally that's the option to go for overall.  But I'll take a walk down to the camping/outdoors shops next time I'm in town to see what I can find along the lines of poly/super light kit and give it a try.

Archived