Kabar kydex sheath and Cold Steel Leatherneck knife… not fitting...

KalasknikovMan

Hey folks.

In my trollings of ebay I found a Kabar brand kydex sheath so I bought it up to carry my Cold Steel Letherneck on my gear for games. When I pulled it out of the mailer and tried to stick my in knife, I was greeted with an unfortunate reality. The sheath is made to the specs of a real knife (let us all bow our heads and say, DUH!). So, the question is: can I modify either the knife or the sheath so that they can play nicely together or do I need to find another way to secure my knife onto my rig?

Thanks!
zyz

Hey folks.

In my trollings of ebay I found a Kabar brand kydex sheath so I bought it up to carry my Cold Steel Letherneck on my gear for games. When I pulled it out of the mailer and tried to stick my in knife, I was greeted with an unfortunate reality. The sheath is made to the specs of a real knife (let us all bow our heads and say, DUH!). So, the question is: can I modify either the knife or the sheath so that they can play nicely together or do I need to find another way to secure my knife onto my rig?

Thanks!

zyz

In theory, you might be able to heat up the kydex, which would allow it to be re-formed to the bigger knife. For that sort of thing use a hot air gun.

BUT

I'm not sure what the heat would do to the rubber of the training knife,

As an owner of a Ka-Bar Tanto and a Cold Steel Tanto trainer, I too know this problem. Unfortunately, the sheer thickness of the blade compared to the sheath means re-forming the sheath is unlikely to help... There's just not enough material to reform around the blade. 

Best bet is either buy some kydex and make a sheath yourself (millions of guides on youtube) or just get a nylon sheath. 

I see… After looking at some guides on google/youtube I'm starting to lean towards getting a kydex sheath kit and making one. But since it would be a first time thing for me here's the question- Is making a sheath all that difficult (or rather, how easy is it to mess up)? And as bobthebuilder said, how would the rubber on the knife do with heated kydex?

Thanks again guys!

KM

I see… After looking at some guides on google/youtube I'm starting to lean towards getting a kydex sheath kit and making one. But since it would be a first time thing for me here's the question- Is making a sheath all that difficult (or rather, how easy is it to mess up)? And as bobthebuilder said, how would the rubber on the knife do with heated kydex?

Thanks again guys!

KM

From what I can tell it seems fairly simple - I haven't actually made one myself, but a few guys at a local site have custom kydex for their big *albatross* cold steel training knives - I forget the name of the model but it's the mahoosive one. As long as you're fairly competent with basic DIY stuff you shouldn't find it too difficult.

As for the heat of the kydex on the blade, I don't want to say for a certainty but I can't see it being an issue - Just remember to wrap the blade in a damp cloth to protect it a bit. Still, people do custom kydex holsters for TM pistols, which are ABS bodied, and I've never heard of someone melting one or anything.

Archived