Starting out in photography. any good books/websites?

bobthebuilder

Figured I'd ask here, since it's about the only place I'm a member of that has any chance of helping.

Basically, I've gotten sick of awful, smartphone camera pictures at the various events I attend, both airsoft and non-airsoft.

So I've dug out my point and shoot (a reasonably decent one) and decided to learn how to take better photos.

But I still don't have much of a clue about how to use it, past the most basic (point lens at thing, press shutter, repeat).

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book, online resource or similar, that can help me through learning how to improve my photography from a basically beginner level?

Go on the Talk Photography forum.  There should be some good guides on there.  Also there's occasional meets organised.  Just keep away from the second hand section if you're like me (got a feeling there's now a minimum post and time period before you get access).

Main thing with modern cameras is you get instant feedback at no cost so you can play around and see what works.

• 4 months later...

One of the best guy's on the internet is Mark Wallace: 

He has done hundreds of video's that helped out one of my mates, he also has a website here: http://blog.snapfactory.com/

If you want to take decent images you really need a SLR, the point and shoots don't really cut it as you don't have full control over the most important settings.

I've been in Photography for about 30 years now, I have a website http://www.g6photography.com/ I was thinking of doing some Airsofte stuff as the photo's I've seen so far are really bad.

Let me know if you need any more help/information, only happy to help :-)

Here's a couple of my photo's - still images only at present.

DYTECGampP10of13_zpse8f0940c.jpg

DYTECGampP7of13_zps3cc697ee.jpg

One of the best guy's on the internet is Mark Wallace: 

He has done hundreds of video's that helped out one of my mates, he also has a website here: http://blog.snapfactory.com/

If you want to take decent images you really need a SLR, the point and shoots don't really cut it as you don't have full control over the most important settings.

I've been in Photography for about 30 years now, I have a website http://www.g6photography.com/ I was thinking of doing some Airsofte stuff as the photo's I've seen so far are really bad.

Let me know if you need any more help/information, only happy to help :-)

Thanks for the info, I'll have to take a look at his stuff!

Since posting this, I've upgraded my kit somewhat. Didn't end up with an DSLR, but did get a decent bridge camera, which seems to be the next best thing.

What camera did you get? The only other essential item I would recommend is a "tripod" and a remote release (or use the self timer)..

If you have a tripod you can just set the camera to Aperture Priority and use the long exposure to pull in the light. The images you see above of the gun used about a 1 sec exposure, this allowed me to use a photography light and move it around whilst the shutter was open, this removes any shadows  :D

If you can get hold of it use Adobe Lightroom to process all your images..

What camera did you get? The only other essential item I would recommend is a "tripod" and a remote release (or use the self timer)..

If you have a tripod you can just set the camera to Aperture Priority and use the long exposure to pull in the light. The images you see above of the gun used about a 1 sec exposure, this allowed me to use a photography light and move it around whilst the shutter was open, this removes any shadows  :D

If you can get hold of it use Adobe Lightroom to process all your images..

I went for a fujifilm HS30 EXR. it's a few years old, but for the price I got it for, it was a hell of a lot of camera.

Tripod is already sorted. Inherited a kenlok that's older than I am.....

Playing around with the long exposure sounds interesting. Next time I've got the guns out, I'll have to give that a go when the new AK arrives, since I'm guaranteed to the taking a few shots of it anyway.

Light room is something I've been looking into getting eventually. but at £57, it's not exactly something I'm rushing to buy.

The most usefull and used item out of all my photography kit over the years has been Lightroom! It's basically years ahead and for processing images its been a god send. I messed around for years with Photoshop and when I switched I wished I had done years ago!!

let me know if you need any pointers with specific things, would be glad to help! 

I'd try to use natural light when you can, if not invest in a flashgun. Playing with slow shutter speeds and sub lights is fun for artsy stuff but if your using it just because its to dull/dark then it gets tedious pretty quick.

Also I've been using DxO Optics Pro for a while now (for processing raw) and because you can set it to automate corrections for things like barrel distortion, vignetting and such, it cuts out a lot of faffing about in photoshop/lightroom. 

Archived