New Camo style - Hexcam by Obliterator Industries

RogueSystem087

• 4 weeks later...

Thats cool.

No criticism of the development work as I know its a lot of effort, but it seems to be overly terrain specific type of camo.  As there are many disruptive patterns out there all extremely effective and terrain specific, but for the most combat experienced armies in the world still favor single colour camouflage, for multi-terrain use.  With such a specific product it is either going to niche markets, or airsofters.

Notice the number of organisations now adopting OD or a Khaki/Olive Green mix

What about buy in/testing with the military?  Specifically the Chinese military/armed police has a very disconnected and distributed supply chain system it would be easy to sell to certain districts and given how ineffective their current camo uniforms are, this would be a step up.  However, you will need to be very scientific in your approach as military hierarchy is more about cost savings than saving lives.

The other issues I can see is UV durablity of fabric dyes on both the nyco (I am guessing you are using Nyco) or nylon, as well as durability of fabric/stitching. Reason why:

A particular army recently changed their uniforms and patterns.  They went to Miltek Industries/Hyperstealth for a custom version of an Multi-terrain pattern.  Hyperstealth insisted to use their preferred partners for the manufacture of the garments and fabrics.  However this particular military found a company that makes sports wear and outsources to China, to use their fabrics and manufacture for 1/5 of the price. 

As a result, the uniform looks fantastic (Crye cut), but falls apart after a week.  The dyes are not UV resistant on the polyesters so all the uniforms start to look red after a week (typical issue with Chinese made multicams also).  Its so bad their senior NCOs have insisted their soldiers to keep their old uniforms just in case...

The funny thing is, hyperstealth didn't test their color and patterns either against operationally relevant arenas so basically the new camo shows up everywhere, even when its brand new.  So now, there is a bunch of soldiers running around with tan, pink camouflage, against an olive green forest and tan grassland.  Hyperstealth didn't factor in an intermediate disruptiveness to the pattern so its just a pink blur.  Highly ineffective.

Hey 3vi1-D4n

Thanks for the questions mates and All Criticism are welcomed!
I will try to answer some of your questions, but I will refer them to Noa for more in depth answers.

No criticism of the development work as I know its a lot of effort, but it seems to be overly terrain specific type of camo.  As there are many disruptive patterns out there all extremely effective and terrain specific, but for the most combat experienced armies in the world still favor single colour camouflage, for multi-terrain use.  With such a specific product it is either going to niche markets, or airsofters.
Yes you are correct, at this moment our range of camos are actually very terrain specific. We have plans to create 1 Jungle, 1 Woodland, 1 Desert and 1 Urban for our 1st Gen of Hexcam. Currently only is the Jungle type is being made as we want to see the reception is for the camo before going for the full range.
And you are correct to state that, currently Hexcam is aimed at airsofters for now. We do have plans to purpose our camo to LE/Military in the future, but that's a long way away.

Notice the number of organisations now adopting OD or a Khaki/Olive Green mix

What about buy in/testing with the military?  Specifically the Chinese military/armed police has a very disconnected and distributed supply chain system it would be easy to sell to certain districts and given how ineffective their current camo uniforms are, this would be a step up.  However, you will need to be very scientific in your approach as military hierarchy is more about cost savings than saving lives.

The other issues I can see is UV durablity of fabric dyes on both the nyco (I am guessing you are using Nyco) or nylon, as well as durability of fabric/stitching. Reason why:

I believed that the fabrics has been treated for anti-UV, but I need to check that with Noa.

A particular army recently changed their uniforms and patterns.  They went to Miltek Industries/Hyperstealth for a custom version of an Multi-terrain pattern.  Hyperstealth insisted to use their preferred partners for the manufacture of the garments and fabrics.  However this particular military found a company that makes sports wear and outsources to China, to use their fabrics and manufacture for 1/5 of the price. 
That's one of the reason why our uniforms aren't made in China. Yes they can definitely chuck out our uniform at a very low prices, but that will give us a very low quality product. Currently our material is printed in Korea, which the printing tech are much better than the Chinese, plus we don't have to worry about factory copying our pattern and selling it off as their own as in Korea they actually care about Intellectual Property. 

As a result, the uniform looks fantastic (Crye cut), but falls apart after a week.  The dyes are not UV resistant on the polyesters so all the uniforms start to look red after a week (typical issue with Chinese made multicams also).  Its so bad their senior NCOs have insisted their soldiers to keep their old uniforms just in case...

The funny thing is, hyperstealth didn't test their color and patterns either against operationally relevant arenas so basically the new camo shows up everywhere, even when its brand new.  So now, there is a bunch of soldiers running around with tan, pink camouflage, against an olive green forest and tan grassland.  Hyperstealth didn't factor in an intermediate disruptiveness to the pattern so its just a pink blur.  Highly ineffective.

Thanks for the answers.

Without actually trying the set of uniforms over a number of days it will be difficult to test.   I know most airsofters don't abuse their outfits or use them more than a few days but here is a few points to raise from observation using the jungle uniforms:

- The Velcro covers are a great idea.

- It looks well thought out.

- The Jungle pattern looks ok, though the lack of meso and macro level disruptions makes the camo a homogenous blur of green.

- Seems to have the same issue with colouring as Singaporean camo, where the green is too vibrant/shiny green.  It could be the fabric type.

- Most water repellent fabrics I have come across is generally heavy, thick and insulating.  In Jungle conditions soldiers generally want thin moisture wiking fabrics that dry quickly because chances are they will get wet on a regular basis.  That and on average a soldier will consume roughly 6-8L of water per day operating out of jungle environments so there will be a lot of sweat.  In fact, if you look at units from armed forces that operate in South East Asia most get rid of their uniforms and patrol using T-shirts.

100% cotton, while it while hydrophilic keeps it a bit too well, draws body heat.  Nyco 60/40 has too much polyester for Jungle (traps too much heat), but more durable.  

- The other issue with thick synthetic material is the noise it makes going through foliage or rubbing against itself. This applies with polyester/goretex jackets and thick canvas type material.  It distracts soldiers themselves on patrol and makes them a noisier target also.

- Soldiers operating in Jungle would not be using Plate carriers or vests because of overheating issues.  Normally they use chest rigs or belt rigs because of better ventilation, the flap is a good idea though really soldiers will need more than that, see my last point above.

- The seams at the top of the shoulders should be removed.  Carrying a heavy pack rubs on the seams which causes a lot of grief on soldiers, and jungle patrols can last for 2 weeks or more with packs.  Avoid seams in the stress areas.

- For jungle uniforms, velcro should be avoided.

- Reduce the pockets from the ACU cut.

- Add ventilation holes under the armpits.

- Kneepads should be built in, Knees are the most common injuries in infantry.  Knee areas needs to be made from hi abrasion materials or double layers.

- You need drawstrings down the bottom of the trousers for jungle operations.

- The material should not need ironing, but can look sharp as it is.  That means prefolded collars.

- If for military applications it will need to have anti-IR treatment.

Thanks for the answers.

Without actually trying the set of uniforms over a number of days it will be difficult to test. I know most airsofters don't abuse their outfits or use them more than a few days but here is a few points to raise from observation using the jungle uniforms:

- The Velcro covers are a great idea.

- It looks well thought out.

- The Jungle pattern looks ok, though the lack of meso and macro level disruptions makes the camo a homogenous blur of green.

- Seems to have the same issue with colouring as Singaporean camo, where the green is too vibrant/shiny green. It could be the fabric type.

- Most water repellent fabrics I have come across is generally heavy, thick and insulating. In Jungle conditions soldiers generally want thin moisture wiking fabrics that dry quickly because chances are they will get wet on a regular basis. That and on average a soldier will consume roughly 6-8L of water per day operating out of jungle environments so there will be a lot of sweat. In fact, if you look at units from armed forces that operate in South East Asia most get rid of their uniforms and patrol using T-shirts.

100% cotton, while it while hydrophilic keeps it a bit too well, draws body heat. Nyco 60/40 has too much polyester for Jungle (traps too much heat), but more durable.

- The other issue with thick synthetic material is the noise it makes going through foliage or rubbing against itself. This applies with polyester/goretex jackets and thick canvas type material. It distracts soldiers themselves on patrol and makes them a noisier target also.

- Soldiers operating in Jungle would not be using Plate carriers or vests because of overheating issues. Normally they use chest rigs or belt rigs because of better ventilation, the flap is a good idea though really soldiers will need more than that, see my last point above.

- The seams at the top of the shoulders should be removed. Carrying a heavy pack rubs on the seams which causes a lot of grief on soldiers, and jungle patrols can last for 2 weeks or more with packs. Avoid seams in the stress areas.

- For jungle uniforms, velcro should be avoided.

- Reduce the pockets from the ACU cut.

- Add ventilation holes under the armpits.

- Kneepads should be built in, Knees are the most common injuries in infantry. Knee areas needs to be made from hi abrasion materials or double layers.

- You need drawstrings down the bottom of the trousers for jungle operations.

- The material should not need ironing, but can look sharp as it is. That means prefolded collars.

- If for military applications it will need to have anti-IR treatment.

Sir, could you please tell me how to start a topic.

Archived