Co2 1911 downgrade ideas

Mad-Larkin

Hey all,

I've been looking at getting a co2 1911 as something I can use through the winter without worries.  I like the look of the elite force 1911 tac or RWA nighthawk, both of which have the single stack MEI style mags which is what I'm after.  However both are rated at 400fps which is 50 more than I can run at my site.

I have previously downgraded a Dan wesson revolver by lengthening the room of the hammer spring, thus causing a weaker strike to the release valve, which has dropped it to 320.  I was wondering if the same could be done with the 1911?

I am aware that I wouldn't be able to adjust the room for the spring as they are under tension at all times, but perhaps shortening the spring a touch would reduce the hammer hit a little and ease off the fps?

Of course, if anyone knows of a far easier to way get the same result I'd be much happier (buy a different pistol does not count ;P )

Cheers everybody!

Assuming it's a TM design:

You can shim the floating valve so that it sits slightly more closed when at rest. This means that when you shoot the gun the floating valve will close much quicker, channelling less gas into the barrel. Some people claim this gives more gas to the blow back, but that's wrong as when the floating valve closes it will use the same amount of gas for blow back and will use less gas overall per shot, so this method also improves your gas efficiency.

Sanding down the valve striker or the striker notch on the hammer may give you consistent results, I've never done that so I can't comment on how much FPS reduction or any other issues would arise. Try this if you have spare striker or hammer in case it goes wrong.

A weaker hammer spring (or channelling out the MSH like you suggest) may also help, as it affects the initial flow of gas(the first bit of gas goes down the barrel, the rest for blow back) I don't know how hard the springs are in the gun you are getting compared to other springs. Weaker mainspring would give a little less blow back as well, so it might cause cycling issues. I doubt that would be much of an issue as co2 guns are famed for their high recoil impulse.

Thanks for the ideas.  Having more than one thing to try definitely gives me more confidence that I'll actually be able to lower it!

For the floating valve, I assume you mean inside the bbu?  Not the valve on the top of the mags.

To shim it, would i just be adding to the back of it so it sits further forward when at rest? 

Frustratingly I know KSC bbu's much better than TM due to my kriss and mp9.

Have a look at the KWC 1911 anniversary, I have one and it was under 350 out the box.  Not a bad pistol either IMHO, not got the accuracy of TM but it kicks nicely and shoots well enough as a secondary for me.

Some sites show it as 400fps and some as 350 so not sure if there are a couple of versions or if its just wishful thinking on behalf of retailers.

The elite force 1911 tac and RWA nighthawk are made by KWC...

It's much better idea to get a TM-compatible KJW 1911 CO2 clone, like the KP07, ASG STI Tac Master, Socom Gear Ultimate Recon... or the expensible steel ones like the Inokatsu 1911A1 or RWA Nighthawk GRP Recon. All those can use the MEU style KJW V2 CO2 magazines  http://www.kjworks.com.tw/productdetail.php?id=63 and the FPS can be regulated with Ra-tech NPAS http://www.airsofttaiwan.com/shop/goods.php?id=238

Get a KJW 1911 (later version).
They take CO2 mags, as well as regular gas. Are fully TM compatible, and with the CO2 mags it chronos at about 340/350FPS, if I recall correctly (Still have to measure it better. I'll get back on this latter in the afternoon, with an accurate figure).

Archived