TM Glock 17 slide not locking back on empty mag

scoobytheoriginal

I'm looking for help to resolve an issue with my Glock 17 slide not locking back when the mag runs out.

It's a TM G17 using WE magazines, with a PGC outer barrel and slide, a metal valve knocker and stronger hammer spring, on a Guarder frame.

The symptoms are as follows:

- When inserting an empty mag and dry firing, it works perfectly each time.

- After shooting a couple of bb's and running out, it won't lock back. The slide lock isn't getting pushed up it seems (or maybe its not going back far enough?)

- If I release the magazine but only take it out a few milimeters, i can push it back in without engaging the slide lock.

- If I pull out the magazine a centimeter or more and reinsert, I engage the slide lock and everything seems to be working from then on.

I've tried putting some bb's underneath the spring that should push the magazine part up agains the slide lock, without results.

I ordered a different slide lock a while ago but unfortunately broke off the little latch, in an attempt to bend it down and get better contact with the magazine part pushing it up.

Is there any one here that could help me figure this one out please?

Have you taken the gun appart and removed and re-installed the slide lock lever?

The installation of the slide lock and spring is a bit tricky.

Other than that sounds like something might be bent out of shape.

As above,

If it does the same with more than one mag, then the mag / follower can be ruled out.

The issue is in the frame / slide release area.

If it does the same with more than one mag, then the mag / follower can be ruled out.

Oh, I never thought about it like that...

So I might have found what's going wrong, thanks to the tips of looking at the frame itself.

When successfully locking back (inserting an empty mag and pulling the slide back manually), the follower on the mag barely touches the sharp point of the slide lock 'lever'.

It touches enough to push it up, but frankly there isn't much contact area...

However, upon inspection of the two parts contacing after shooting and pulling back the slide myself, these two parts don't seem to touch.

It's very difficult to see but this may also be the explanation for the lock working correctly again when I pull out the mag far enough...

Could you give me an idea how much these two parts are supposed to touch, or where I can find a slide lock 'lever' that has a much larger trianlge thingy to get pushed up?

EDIT: I'm using the stock one at the moment.

Hard to advise without having the actual gun in hand sometimes, and I don't have a Glock atm to look at.

Wondering if it's something to do with the fitment of the original slide release into the Guarder frame? The follower should put reasonable pressure on the slide release.

• 3 weeks later...

Is that the stock catch and did you also try bending the tab down? Doing so would shorten its reach sideways which looks to be the problem. I'd look into the frame that it's molded such that the tab and mag are fitted farther apart. See if the problem persists with the stock frame and if a Guarder catch has a longer tab.

Archived