Amazing History of the Chernobyl Disaster

aznriptide859

http://imgur.com/a/TwY6q

Blew through 30 minutes reading everything - it's astonishing to see how immense the city, cleanup, and efforts were into the whole disaster.

I really hope the author eventually releases a picture book, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. His entire book is on his website for further reading.

https://leatherbarrowa.exposure.co/chernobyl

I went on a one-day tour at Easter 2013 as I was in Kiev visiting a friend, and, well, you might as well, hadn't you?  A couple of inches of snow on the ground made Pripyat very quiet to be around.

The radiation detectors seen in the imgur album when you leave the zone are interesting to go through...Red/amber/green system, everyone comes out amber :blink: Focuses the mind a bit.

Seeing pics of a place alive with people, that i'm so used to seeing as a dead ghost town is creepy, the pic of the people on stilts in front of the ferris wheel really brings that out seeing as thats now one of the most iconic images of post disaster Chernobyl! Great find! 

I went on a one-day tour at Easter 2013 as I was in Kiev visiting a friend, and, well, you might as well, hadn't you?  A couple of inches of snow on the ground made Pripyat very quiet to be around.

The radiation detectors seen in the imgur album when you leave the zone are interesting to go through...Red/amber/green system, everyone comes out amber :blink: Focuses the mind a bit.

Curious, but what does it take to actually go through there? Some kind of security checks, etc.?

Although I imagine with Russia's presence it's practically impossible now.

It was really easy.  Booked online a couple of weeks before (so the tour has a list of names they provide to the guards at the border of the exclusion zone), turned up outside the railway station in Kiev, found the coach, paid (~£100) and spend a couple of hours traveling back through time through the Ukraine countryside to the exclusion zone.  Had to show ID to enter the zone to match names/faces to the tour list. That was it, security wise.

Russian presence?  When we went the tour party consisted of two Brits, one Irish, 2 Dutch, another I don't remember and the rest were all Russians going to visit because of S.T.A.L.K.E.R!

A quick checks says the tours are still running, the issues in the East are a long way from Chernobyl itself, so there's no reason they shouldn't keep running.

Curious, but what does it take to actually go through there? Some kind of security checks, etc.?

Although I imagine with Russia's presence it's practically impossible now.

Pripyat is in the North of the county - a stone's throw from Belarus. It's kicking off in the South East - more or less the opposite side of a large country. You'll be fine.

Ukraine's economy is imploding so now would be a pretty cheap time to go, me thinks! 

I'm surprised no ones said it yet but my god what a place to play a game of airsoft! 

I do apologise in advance for linking to this rag but I thought this story was rather relevant 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3056382/Radioactive-girl-Superhero-scientist-ventures-heart-Chernobyl-exclusion-zone-eat-toxic-apples-pose-reactor-s-control-room-defying-officials-say-humans-t-live-20-000-years.html

and no I dont go on their web site or read the paper someone in the office pointed out the story! 

Archived