KWA LM4 PTR GBBR v WE M4 GBBR

super64

I've got the chance of getting my hands on a KWA LM4 PTR and was wondering if they were a better option than the WE M4. I've seen a few reviews online, including a few YouTube comparison clips, but I'm still not sure.

The KWA appeals because of the professional training rifle aspect, but how much difference is there really between the two rifles? Is it that much more realistic?

On the other hand, I have a bunch of WE gbbr's already, so I have a bunch of compatible mags for the WE M4 and I'm also happy with the performance of the WE rifles. So I'm sure I'd be happy with the WE M4.

Anyone got experience of both rifles, any input appreciated. Also anyone got experience of using a real M4 and can compare against these two gbbr's?

The hopup unit is bad, the adjustment arm is weak, the hopup tool will break in no time.

It has a couple steel parts but not where its needed(buffer lock).

Mags are expensive for the mediocre performance and for many hard to find.

Parts are hard to find, you can't swap most parts from other "kwa based" m4s without lots of work(for many).

Mags are fragile, the upper on older models will fall apart if you try to mount an optic or from use.

The recoil will make it fall to pieces, the recoil will make the buffer lock snap.

Not worth the price difference of a we if you ask me.

With we you know where you stand, you may or may not need upgrades, parts are everywhere (spares).

Mags are cheap and mapp gas makes everything run in the cold.

Better hop system, better recoil, recoil won't make the gun fall apart(unless its a scar, lol).

Internally it may not look as real as the kwa does but it makes parts swaps quick.

The we is milspec, can use a real upper(small mod) if you can't find a spare we upper or if a real one is the same price as a oem one in your location.

We has a better trigger feel than the kwa, the we can't use real fcg/bcg parts. It's 1:1 size and very close to the weight.

I used to have an LM4 now my mate has it. 

Cold weather performance is excellent - Much better than the WE M4

Parts are easy to find through the KWA Pro Shop for KWA US models or KIC Taiwan for KWA Asia Editions

Hop unit is terrible - Theres a chap on Zero In who 3D prints hop units to take AEG rubbers and barrels, I fitted one and am very impressed. Laser accurate and range is brilliant. 

Mags are hit and miss. Got the Pmag style ones, pretty solid but they can leak from the base plates which is very annoying to fix

Really nice solid recoil

WE M4 on the other had is well a WE, the usual tuning and tarting around with it and you'll get it running pretty solid but they don't like the cold at all. 

Don't bother with steel internals etc... just replace with OEM bits when they break much cheaper and wont run into the problems of of hard metals impacting soft metals.

Change the hop and barrel soon as you get it. Make you only buy V2 mags the rest are total *suitcase*. 

I'll agree that the hop area is often a weakness to the KWAs but my 2 guns (and all the numerous mags I have) have been damn good all around.  The mags especially have been absolutely flawless in terms of gas retention (owned them all for nearly 4 years now) and performed to a very high level including some cold weather testing.

I have about 1500 rounds or so through real semi-auto 556 ARs (a few hundred of those through select fire guns), not much compared to some but enough to have a rough idea.  Obviously the kick is a fair bit less with any GBBr but I found the experience with the KWA pretty decent all things considered.  I'm sure the difference is highly apparent when you shoot the real thing then immediately pick up the airsoft gun, but the KWA actually does enough to move your sight around a little bit.

*snip*

^ Measured and balanced view point.

Personally in your situation though, even though I like the KWA platform I doubt I'd move over if you've already got a bunch of WE mags.  The PTS Masada/ACR and PDR (coming some time in the next year or two) are considerations if you like them since they take the KWA mags, but obviously that's a preference thing.

Thanks for the input. I think WE is going to be the way to go, mostly because I can get a new one for the same money as a second hand KWA and I won't have to factor in buying mags.

I'm trying to find a WE M4 RIS, but they're hard to find in stock. I may end up going with the CQB, then put an outer barrel extension on it. It seems the cheaper option than getting the standard M4 and then putting a rail on it. Is this as easy as it sounds, bearing in mind it's more for show than for skirmish, so having a shorter inner barrel with an extended outer is not that big an issue.

Where would I get my hands on a real M4 rail in the U.K. at a reasonable price? I take it there are no issues legally owning a real RIS rail due to it being furniture as opposed to a working part?

Reasonable is rather open to interpretation.  Dave's Custom Airsoft had some nice ones last I checked, I've seen a few on Land Warrior and there's Brownells UK if you're feeling flush.  As far as minimum hassle goes, those would be the first ones that spring to mind.

I've looked around at the GHK and they look to be around £100 more than the WE, but I guess you get what you pay for. I've also started looking at the TM M4 MWS and I like the look of that. Again more expensive than the WE, but it is a TM so that's to be expected.

I've looked around at the GHK and they look to be around £100 more than the WE, but I guess you get what you pay for. I've also started looking at the TM M4 MWS and I like the look of that. Again more expensive than the WE, but it is a TM so that's to be expected.

GHK out performs the WE in every aspects, for $100 bucks more it is very well worth it. Plus if you play in the cold with greengas/propane you don't have to worry about your gun being slugish. 

GHK OOTB runs like a beast, upgrades are not needed. 

TM MWS is new, and I suspect they will have lots of support within 12 months, however, they are not green gas ready, so you'll be spending more then you want on this puppy. 

ps, if the the lm4 is the newer gen, they could be ok, i had a 1st gen 3 piece upper, was horrifc. 

Archived