SA80

mig_eater

And yet we've all seen pictures of the AK74 and nothing at all of the SA80?

In other news today, I finally got around to smashing up a prefectly good CA reflex sight and butchering the internals into the Academy SUSAT.

I don't mean to sound smug but I suspect I might have the best airsoft SUSAT anywhere in the world. :D

WOOT!!!

so any pics/step-by-step on that one Sid?

if not we will all mock your hairstyle and choise of underwhere :D

I'll take some pics of the finished article.

I was gonna take pics of it as I was working but the batteries were flat onmy camera and the work just raged out of control.

Gotta take it all to bits again soon to paint it so will take pic's then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is there a metal body for the SA80?

No, Airsoft Club say they make them but they just take your money and run

Ummm, no.

Looks like ASC have actually pulled their finger out and produced a very crude metal copy of the Academy shell. It's terrible though.

What can I do about the Susat issues?

Use my guide here: SUSAT Guide

Simplest thing to do, IMO, is take the various lenses out and replace them with flat perspex. Then replace the normal LED with an ultra-bright one. This makes a vast improvement.

Can I replace the SUSAT with Iron Sights?

No, the real iron sights are too heavy for the supports so they'll break off (taking a large amount of plastic with them) within a couple of weeks

You've forgotten to mention that there's no actual way of fitting the rear sight without removing a couple of the guns fixing screws and then figuring out a way to attach a rail.

Can I just whack a new m100 spring in?

No it burns out the motor very fast and gives a very low RoF, you would need to replace, the spring, gears, motor (not easy as there is no more powerful one of the same size), and get a 8.4/9.6V battery

The gears are actually fine.

Fitting a genuine EG560 instead of the Academy motor makes a fair difference though.

Can I swap out the barrel?

Yes, but it requires the purchase of a TM Hop-up Unit, and a bit of ducttape for the barrel supports

Boll0cks. You can fit a stock TM barrel straight into the Academy hop-up. fit it back-to-front though and position the groove for the marui hop-up unit at the bottom of the muzzle end.

Why won't it take M16 mags? the real one does!

because academy messed up with the measuring tape.

it can accept M16 mags with a bit of dremeling (PM for instructions)

No need for PMs. Just do the dremmeling.

Any other questions search then if you can't find it PM me rather than clogging the forum with duplicate threads :)

Cheers

Mig

I think it'd probably be for the best if the members of the forum don't rely on advice from somebody who has yet to actually produce a photograph of a modded L85 and talks a lot of nonsense.

Your Academy L85 related questions are probably best directed at Cazboab or myself.

To be honest, I find it rather galling that mig_eater has the cheek to proclaim himself the guru for SA80s and then have his "FAQ" stickied when his knowledge appears to be, at best, marginal.

What can I do about the Susat issues?

Use my guide here: SUSAT Guide

I just bothered to read this. What a load of nonsense!

If you poke a pin through the bottom of the academy SUSAT, how the hell is that going to give you a constant point of aim?

It won't work.

• 2 weeks later...

I think TM are making a L85. I opened the catalogue of the '2005 lineup' when I got my Desert Eagle.

Anyway, I went to the back page and, lo and behold, I saw 'L85' with a silhouette of it underneath! Maybe TM want to expand? IMO they haven't started making them yet but plan to. :)

I think TM are making a L85. I opened the catalogue of the '2005 lineup' when I got my Desert Eagle.

Anyway, I went to the back page and, lo and behold, I saw 'L85' with a silhouette  of it underneath! Maybe TM want to expand? IMO they haven't started making them yet but plan to. :)

For the love of god... :rolleyes:

Look again and tell me what page it's on.

Archived