2006: A VCR Act Court Case

Spudgun

Now, this is just for a bit of a laugh. As I've mentioned many times, I'm a model maker. One such model I've made (a few years ago now) is a copy of the Federation Troopers rifle from that TV show Blake's 7. I was lucky to buy a set of blueprints from the person who actually made the props for the BBC series. Anyway, I've dreamt up this imaginary VCR related court case. In this case, I'm up before the 'beak' for having a 'realistic imitation firearm'.

Prosecution: M'lud. It is our intention to prove beyond any doubt that Spudgun was in possesion of a realistic imitation firearm, contary to the Violent Crime Reduction Act of 2006. The offending realistic imitation was a Federation Troopers rifle from the TV series Blake's 7.

M'lud: Are you saying that a laser blaster from a science fiction series made in the 1970's is a realistic imitation? How is this possible? After all, laser blasters are not real.

Prosecution: I am well aware that 'laser blasters' are not real M'lud. However, in this case the defendants copy of the aforementioned blaster is covered by the VCR Act.

M'lud: Eh? On the one hand you're saying that laser blasters are not real, but on the other hand you're saying that they are. Make your mind up!

Prosecution: M'lud, if you allow me to go into detail, I shall demonstrate the validity of the prosecutions argument.

M'lud: This had better be good, otherwise you're going to get a kicking!

Prosecution: Quite, M'lud. Now, Mr Spudgun, did you manufacture the blaster in question?

Spudgun: Yup.

Prosecution: To what parameters?

Spudgun: I used a copy of the original blueprints supplied by the person who made the props for the TV series. I also used a number of the materials specified on those blueprints. I also used the same coloured paint that the original props were sprayed with.

Prosecution: Hmmmm. If you could express the closeness of your copy as a percentage to the original, what would that percentage be?

Spudgun: I'd say it was around 92%.

Prosecution: 92% eh? That's very close!

Spudgun: Well, it would've been closer, but I couldn't get the chrome tape or the correct fixings to keep the extending butt on.

Prosecution: Shame, but never the less 92% is a good figure.

Spudgun: Thanks.

Prosecution: So Mr Spudgun, you've made a realistic imitation of what was seen on the TV.

M'lud: Hang on a mo. Are you saying that making a realistic imitation of an imitation firearm is an offence?

Prosecution: Of course M'lud.

M'lud: What if the defendant completely botched the job?

Prosecution: Ah well M'lud, that's no problem. The defendant would've produced an imitation of an imitation firearm. This as M'lud would know, is perfectly legal.

M'lud: It's perfectly stupid.

Spudgun: Hey M'lud, did you know that the blueprint for that blaster in the Blake's 7 Technical Manual only has a passing resemblence to the screen seen item.

M'lud: No I didn't.

Prosecution: Well Mr Spudgun, if you had made a copy of that item, you would still be guilty of an offence.

M'lud: Don't tell me. He would've made a realistic imitation of an imitation firearm.

Prosecution: Correct M'lud.

Spudgun: Hang on a minute. You're trying to say that if I built that blaster from those blueprints, I'd be guilty of building a realistic imitation of an imitation that doesn't imitate the original item?

Prosecution: That would be correct.

M'lud: The law is an *albatross*. Just who approved this piece of stupidity?

Prosecution: My husband M'lud.

Funny.

I won't rep you, but I will give you a smilie. You deserve a smilie.

I hope that happens, and you get off the hook. That way we could all make imitations of imitations that weren't imitating the real thing.

Here is your smilie:

:D

~Prometheus

Archived