The CA870 short mag

Ledpocket

Many of us CA870 users would like a more realistic look to our shotty. The mag sticking out the bottom somehow detracts from the look of the gun.

Well, I'm sure a lot of us have thought about the best way to acheive this (I have), and after a (very small) push I'm going to give it a go.

It should be pretty easy, and accomplished with some basic tools and parts, but maybe there are some really good ideas out there that would help all of us...

To start, it looks like G&P might solve the problem, but I imagine theese wil be $20 or so (compared to $8 for a stock mag)

http://www.gp-web.com/en/productspop.php?pid=702

gp453a3vh.jpg

(Thanks rhino for letting me know those even existed :) )

Anyway, here are some pics of the stock mag internals. My idea was to chop the casing in 1/2 then add a tube of some sort to guide/hold the bb's, epoxy it in, and add some kind of replacement latch to keep the mag in place.

After looking at the g&p mag, I assume the mag catch it a front-to-back slider with a tab at the front and the slider at the back to keep the mag in place (as opposed to the side latching squeezy thing on the stock mag)

20040625ca870shorty0084hm.jpg

20040625ca870shorty0097cm.jpg

20040625ca870shorty0104cu.jpg

20040625ca870shorty0114jn.jpg

That's all I've got for now. Looking for ideas, suggestions, etc.

edit: another g&p link:

http://www.gp-web.com/en/coming.php

That short mag is on the "coming soon" page

I agree with Soloman.

The nice silver follower is probably spring loaded on the G&Ps. So when you push it fowards it will release the small peg in the back that you can barely see in that photo.

Man I wonder when these will be hitting the market? It might just convince me to waste money and a shotgun again. (As if the the M1100 Defender wasn't enough!)

I hadn't thought about cutting out the middle and using the top/bottom.

But that's not a bad idea.

What I had in mind was using the top, running a tube for the follower/spring, and just using a piece of aluminum or plastic flat stock to make up a new bottom.

The 2 tabs to hold the mag in the gun. 1 solid at the front, and 1 slider at the rear.

Murph- buying shotguns is never a waste ;)

Archived