Vietnam 101st loadout

screamin_weasel

LRP - Long Range Patrol, every division had a recon company. later in the war all the companies were transformed to 75th Ranger Regiment.

- Army Recons usually wore tiger stripes later ERDLs, boonie hat and common M56/later M67 gear - 4xUniversal ammo poucha, bayonet/survival knife/KBar, 4x water bottle, sometimes chicom equipment but rare etc..

Infantry - (armour vest sometimes), helmet, bayonet, 2x Universal ammo pouch, M193 ammo bandoleers, water bottles, T62 lightweight rucksack etc..

- infantry look http://www.incountry.ca/images/galleries/a...nots/index.html

If you go through incountry.ca you will find there photos of 173rd Airborne Brig. so 101st Infantry units looked same. And...Good Luck on Hamburger Hill:)

Pistol: If you are not SSgt anh higher. Do not use it. In those times and in Vietnam the pistol was for Vietnamese people symbol of "power or leadership". I do not know how the make a better definition.

ok cheers dude.

what about a pistol for my SF loadout?

surely they were allowed to carry them if they wanted ?

A side-arm for your SF loadout is definitely a must; SF personnel rarely strolled around without a firearm.

Vietnammarine outlined the LRRP loadout perfectly; LRRPs operated very similar to MACV-SOG recon teams, but inside the border of South Vietnam. They were composed of around six to eight US personnel (non-indig) and conducted long range reconniassance patrols (LRRP).

• 2 weeks later...
Also, above the branch of service, you can add the parachute qualification badge and above it, you can add a CIB (combat infantryman badge).

But then that implies he has been in actual combat with the US armed forces. Nothing annoys a serviceman (or woman) more then seeing people with patches and qualification badges that they never earned on. Believe me, my dad is a former Navy pilot who went through Marine bootcamp during Vietnam. He draws the line at qualification badges. Trust me, don't do it.

But then that implies he has been in actual combat with the US armed forces. Nothing annoys a serviceman (or woman) more then seeing people with patches and qualification badges that they never earned on. Believe me, my dad is a former Navy pilot who went through Marine bootcamp during Vietnam. He draws the line at qualification badges. Trust me, don't do it.

With all respect to your Dad... speak for yourself. :waggle:

As a Navy vet. myself, I take no offense when people who are doing a historical impression want to use the proper qualification badges, rank insignia and uniforms. Do you get offended when they use the proper badges in a movie? Even though the actor hasn't earned them? see my point. Now, if one were to wear the badges and then purport to be part of the unit or some other such BS that would be a different story.

Rarely have I ever heard this perspective from an actual vet., when the situation is put in context. All vets have a problem with lying wannabes who like to pretend they have BTDT ("I was a CIA SEAL sniper in Bosnia, but I have no record of service or BUDS class number because it's all classified"). Wearing a badge as part of an impression is a different story entirely.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but I hate when people put words into my mouth

End of Rant :)

With all respect to your Dad... speak for yourself.  :waggle:

As a Navy vet. myself, I take no offense when people who are doing a historical impression want to use the proper qualification badges, rank insignia and uniforms. Do you get offended when they use the proper badges in a movie? Even though the actor hasn't earned them? see my point. Now, if one were to wear the badges and then purport to be part of the unit or some other such BS that would be a different story.

Rarely have I ever heard this perspective from an actual vet., when the situation is put in context. All vets have a problem with lying wannabes who like to pretend they have BTDT ("I was a CIA SEAL sniper in Bosnia, but I have no record of service or BUDS class number because it's all classified"). Wearing a badge as part of an impression is a different story entirely.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but I hate when people put words into my mouth

End of Rant :)

I guess I didn't put this clearly enough, I meant airsofters who are not doing this for public learning, just to "look cool" and make themselves feel better. Reenactors, actors etc. no problem. Its just some of the airsofters who are covered in patches that I was talking about. Sorry if I didn't make my point clearly enough.

Tmas, I can't begin to express my utmost respect for anyone who is or has served this country, especially those who served in Vietnam. From my perspective, if you're going to do a loadout with patches and rank insignia, then it should be done right and completely. It's a different story if somebody does it and then proceeds to claim they've served with that unit and have earned those badges - that's a different story.

well quite clearly the whole "patched up airsofters suck" thing was a dig at my loadout.

read through the thread again. nowhere did i claim to be super knowledgable about Nam, and niether did i claim to be in it lol (im 20).

airosft is about looking good. fool yourself into thinking its about replicating tactics or whatever, but airsoft is about spending on money to make you and your kit look the best. i'm not ever going to meet you in my life, so your opinion doesn't particuarly bother me, but it seems your opinion is the minority vote dude.

anyways - the only sidearm i am considering is the new 'cheapo' WA 1911. just waiting for Snowman to do his review, but to be hoenst i might just order oen anyways.

If the pistol is just for show, I know there used to a blank-fire replica of the Mk22 Mod0 and even came with the WOX-1A. I think it was a WA or Tanka, I just don't remember...

Well, I know it's not much, but hope this helps

well quite clearly the whole "patched up airsofters suck" thing was a dig at my loadout.

read through the thread again. nowhere did i claim to be super knowledgable about Nam, and niether did i claim to be in it lol (im 20).

airosft is about looking good. fool yourself into thinking its about replicating tactics or whatever, but airsoft is about spending on money to make you and your kit look the best. i'm not ever going to meet you in my life, so your opinion doesn't particuarly bother me, but it seems your opinion is the minority vote dude.

anyways - the only sidearm i am considering is the new 'cheapo' WA 1911. just waiting for Snowman to do his review, but to be hoenst i might just order oen anyways.

no, it was not a "dig" at your loadout. i just don't support the whole putting jump wings on if you haven't actually earned them. if you want to thats fine, more power to you, and most veterans (as you've seen here) probably won't care too much, but I have seen a few guys (mostly special forces guys) getting a little angry. You probably won't run into trouble with anyone, but you never know.

ok then dude.

is there a difference between the percieved idea of the badges i DO have (name tapes, SF with airborne tab and MACV SOG pocket patch) and the qualification badges ?

for the record, i doubt i will be getting the qualification badges anyway. its more stitching, and i think i have enough patches on my top now.

yes indeed LJ.

the patches i have indicate unit only.

as for the mags, unfortunatly im not good enough for lowcaps, especially 20 fookin rounds lol.

hopefully they will bring out the midcap ones, which seems to be the pattern. the midcap ones i wil be all over like a vietnam airsofter over cheap VN midcaps

So STAR has indeed made 20-rounders? I might need to finish my Vietnam SF loadout...

Oh, Weasel, SOG recon men pooled their money and bought non-military issued 30-round magazines so that every man would have one 30-round magazine. When they inserted, they carried the 30-round loaded into their CARs and then used 20-rounders once they fired it off. In most photos, you can always tell a recon team had made contact with the NVA if they had 20-rounders in their CARs. So, you get one 30-rounder to use.

thats all well and good for realism - but 30 rounders looks wank in CAR-15's - i already tried it.

and airsoft is about looks, so i'll pretend i'm so hardcore that i dont need a 30 rnder, and i let somebody else have it. :mellow:

lol and i just realised this isn't actually my SF thread.

oh well.

Archived