aeg blowback action

sadigh

well, after browsing star's website recently and looking at their forthcoming 'blowback' kit for the l85 series, I've decided to imatate it on my custom academy l85.

from looking at the kit, it works by slot cut out in one side of the gearbox starting from the pistons 'rest' position. The slot then runs along the gearbox to the spring guide. The cocking handle has a section that goes into the slot, so as the piston goes back, so does the cocking handle. The cocking handle then returns forward by means of a seperate spring.

I intend to copy this by cutting a slot in the side of the academy gearbox to allow the cocking handle to move back and forth when firing the gun.

Should be quite easy to do, watch this space for a 'how to' guide when I've finished the mod

any questions/comments feel free

thanks

FWIW, I think this is harder than it seems.

I assume you've seen THIS, right?

Firstly, you need to attach whatever you attach to the rear end of the gearbox so that it doesn't ever go inside the cylinder.

I'd suggest drilling a hole near the top of the piston (on the side), putting a screw into the hole, grinding it off smooth on the inside so it doesn't foul the spring and then reinforcing the outside edge with epoxy perhaps?

Don't forget that you do NOT want to place any pin in the middle of the piston cos that'll mean you have to cut the slot where the piston track is. ;)

So, You've got a pin sticking out the side of the piston, at the top.

You now need to cut a corresponding slot in the gearbox housing. That's pretty self explanatory.

Next thing is that I'd suggest making a tab on the fake bolt which the pin can hook on.

What I mean is, make it so that the pin pushes the tab back BUT you can also pull the bolt back by hand if you wish.

Don't forget, however, that the spring on the fake bolt will probably not be strong enough to push it forward at the same rate that the piston travels forward. This means that it'll work okay-ish in semi auto but, when you shoot in auto the bolt will be still travelling forward when the piston comes o collect it for another stroke.

In short, it'll be knocked senseless by the piston moving backward and forward.

You've probably seen it already but, in the video HERE you can see the Star charging handle bouncing about like a mad thing due to the same effect.

It'll probably only last a few hundred rounds before something breaks.

cheers sid, thats pretty much what I was intending to do, but have the tab on the cocking handle pushed back by the rear of the piston. the slot in the gearbox wil be on the side, above the guide slots. this is mainly because of how the cocking handle is made, the tab wont reach to the top of the gearbox

Must admit, I'd be tempted to try it myself but I KNOW it'll make an awful rattly mess when fired.

Don't forget, as well, that there's not much holding the fake bolt in place on the SA80. There are a couple of guide-slots molded into the inside of the SA80 receiver but the only thing holding the fake bolt into it is that it's pressed against it by the gearbox.

Here's an idea....

How about glueing a strong magnet ( a small neo (rare earth) magnet should do) to the back side of the piston head, then applying another strong magnet to the fake bolt cover? If they are close enough, it might "blow back" and move with the piston... and the spring will be strong enough to hold the piston forward when you need to pull the cover back to access the hop. And this way there is no cutting of the gearbox!

Might take some tuning, but the princple is sound. :D

thats a nice idea deepsix, but I'd rather have the cocking handle move mechanically, via the piston.

If I used a magnet, it would probably make the metal cocking lever stick to the steel body on my gun

Erm a strong magnet would interfere with the motor, since hte motors work on an electric current making a magnetic field.................. The Magnet is a great way to knacker your gun's internals. I wouldnt mind seeing a gass mech made for my M14 to produce the same affect but I'm not sure how you'd go about this... I'm almost tempted to email Led about it :)

Archived