Special Airsoft Supplies - AVOID!

the_lurker

FELLOW AIRSOFTERS BE WARNED!

I met Mark the owner of Special Airsoft Supplies at the Detling Military Odyssey in August. I purchased a couple of items and was keen to find out the cost of a nomex SAS s10 respirator hood and also to see whether I could get a left handed drop leg holster.

The hoods were available, but I'd spent my money by then.

Mark informed me that if I contacted him, via his web site, I could order both items and pay for them via paypal etc.

As I'd been looking for these items for ages I was naturally please that I'd finally found a supplier.

I contacted Mark via e-mail and ordered a number of bits of kit. These included the nomex hood, the left handed drop leg holster and an mp5 mag pouch. Together with postage, this came to £91.

I paid using paypal on 25th September. Mark did inform me that the holster would need to be ordered specially and would not be shipped with the other items. I agreed that this was ok.

A few days passed and the hood and mag pouched arrived. So far so good...

I waited for almost a month before contacting Mark again. I tried ringing the telephone number on the site, and using e-mail. Eventually I got a reply saying the goods were not still not in. He apologised for being away and not answering my e-mails etc.

On the 9th November I found another supplier of lefties and e-mailed Mark asking him to cancel the remainder of my order and refund my money. No response.

I waited until the 23rd Nov and e-mailed again. By now I was fed up with waiting and asked for my money back again. No response.

I send a e-mail to him 7 days ago asking for return of my payment. I told him if this didn't occurred I'd be taking the matter further. No response.

This bloke has basically stolen £20 from me. It's not a mega amount of money, but it's still theft.

I tried to claim my money back from paypal, but ask I'd waited longer than a month before I tried to claim I was told "tough".

I am still looking for a leftie holster and wanted to inform all other Airsofters to boycott this rogue trader.

Any advice as to my next move?

Thanks

The Lurker

Thanks for the warning. I'll heed itQ

Gunlady

bit late but..........the sig pro arrived in perfect condition, however when it did arrive it had firing malfunctions etc. When i emailed Mark (as u all call him) twice, i had no reply and have had none to this day. fortunatly i sold the gun anyways but i would buy from here again...too risky if you ask me.

llamedos, I'm glad that you've had good experiences with Mark and SAS, but you have to realise that this "bandwagon" didn't start for no reason - a significant number of people have been badly let down by him over the last few years, and although many dealings with him go through without problems, a search back through this forum and UKASC/UKAN clearly shows that when things /do/ go wrong they often go very badly wrong indeed.

For example, I am on the point of referring him to a debt collection agency in an attempt to recover more than £700 that he owes me. After a sale went wrong back in January, although I returned the incorrect items for a refund he simply ignored all attempts to communicate with him. In the end I was forced to make a claim in the small claims court - this was found in my favour, and a warrant issued, but the bailiffs have been unable to recover the sum owing and so I will have to hand it off to a commercial recovery company.

In my opinion dealing with SAS is something of a gamble, and I wouldn't recommend that ANYONE pays him more money than they can afford to lose... If things do go wrong, recovering the money can (as in my case) be extremely difficult indeed.

I to skirmish at AWA Harlow and from what i have gathered from speaking to him hes a decent guy. Seems that the main problem is in delivery. That doesn't affect me because if i buy from him then i would buy face to face, not give him the money unless he has what I'm paying for. His son who helps him run the shop is also cool.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently in the process of buying a SIG552 off of his website, i hadnt searched to see how reliable he was as a retailer beforehand.

I managed to contact him easily through email and over msn messenger, he seems friendly enough and did me a deal with an unboxed version of my gun that he could send me straight away with full guarantee brand new, just ruined box and a slight mark on the gun, so he is apparently sending it today via DHL rather than me waiting up to 10 days for him to import it which is probably where problems arise. He gave me an awesome deal though, the fact it wasnt in a box got me free ammo and a much better battery that i was buying for free.

I'll pass judgement until it arrives i suppose, but i dont really have a bad feeling

I'm currently in the process of buying a SIG552 off of his website, i hadnt searched to see how reliable he was as a retailer beforehand.

I managed to contact him easily through email and over msn messenger, he seems friendly enough and did me a deal with an unboxed version of my gun that he could send me straight away with full guarantee brand new, just ruined box and a slight mark on the gun, so he is apparently sending it today via DHL rather than me waiting up to 10 days for him to import it which is probably where problems arise. He gave me an awesome deal though, the fact it wasnt in a box got me free ammo and a much better battery that i was buying for free.

I'll pass judgement until it arrives i suppose, but i dont really have a bad feeling

got my gun fine now, delivered after 3 days, awesome

Well, I have to say that as far as I'm concerned Mark Woolley is a scammer and a thief. He owes me more than £700 (and that's not just my opinion - the small claims court thinks so too) which he obviously has no intention of paying, and by now it's clear that I'm going to have to fight for every penny.

I'm glad (kind of!) that others are having successful dealings with the man, but that doesn't change the fact that if he decides that he is going to weasel out of a deal then he will do just that, and courts and bailiffs be damned.

I still say that anyone thinking of buying with him should read this and think very carefully about it...

http://www.epicycle.org.uk/weblog/2006/may-2006.htm#26

• 2 weeks later...

Archived